Do you only grind your own wild game?

asilmas

FNG
I am trying to justify buying a meat grinder and learning to process my own game. I am lucky to bag a deer a year, but working on changing that.

It got me questioning if those of you who process your own game also grind your own breakfast sausage or beef burger? Is it a worthwhile adventure? I know it won't necessarily be cheaper but wondering if thr quality difference alone is worth it?

Meat your maker has some grinders on sale, and I was holding off to see what they may have around the first of September. Just wanted to get some feedback and thoughts from those more experienced.
We always have our elk/deer burger ground at a butcher nearby and he adds 10% beef fat. Only around $1.50 lb. Not worth the cost in my opinion to buy the grinder and dealing with incorporating the fat in.

A number of years back I got my first elk and I was very excited to get my meat back from the meat processor. I tried some of the steaks and roasts and they were great. I knew they would be as I took great care when butchering out in the field. Then can the burger. Barf! They mixed my meat with someone else’s or didn’t clean the grinder…who knows? What I do know is it was awful.

That’s when I said never again and have been butchering my own ever since. I have one of those giant Carnivore grinders from Cabela’s. Works awesome. I have all the other goodies as well to make all kind of meat treats. It’s so worth it.

svivian

WKR
Totally worth doing yourself and not that hard. I have paid for my equipment many times over already compared to paying someone
IMG_2723.jpeg72514829087__F2CE33C3-F107-4323-879F-E52343994527.jpegIMG_1961.jpegIMG_1962.jpeg

Axlrod

WKR
I grind all my own. I use pork shoulders for bulk breakfast sausage. Make several small batches a year to keep it fresh. Get the biggest grinder you can for sure.

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
[QUOTE="6mm Remington,
This Montana company makes some great sausage mixes if you want to make sausage. I have a stuffing tube but have never used it. I make bulk packages of sausage just as I do my burger meat. It seems to work in other recipes that way a little better. You will not be disappointed if you us Hi Country sausage mixes. Here's some of my favorite.

It is very good. But they don't make it. They buy it and repackage it. It is made by Newly Wed spice company, also sold under the "Witt's" label. If you google it you can get enough for 25# for a few dollars.

Last edited:
I too had a bad experience with a processor that led me to grinding my own. Used the kitchen aid grinder attachme t for a couple years then got an inexpensive Gander mtn 3/4 hp. I do a deer and an elk or 2 deer per yr on average. Cut the meat into reasonable chunks and trim the sinew and silverskin off and it has not let me down. Just don't ask the machine to do too much at once and even the 3/4 hp does the job. I don't use the premixed spices. I make myown and have used a mix the local butcher made for brats. My machine came with various tunes. I use them occasionally with great results. It is worth the extra effort to do your own. I don't add fat to my burger grind. I add 30 to 50% pork ( buy shoulder/butt on sale and grind your own) to my loose breakfast sausage or tube sausages.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
We do multiple animals per year. We use a Meat #32 and a 15 lb Hakka stuffer to shoot 2 lb bags. We grind in anywhere from 10 to 20% beef suet. Works out well.

rmarshall

WKR
We process all of our own game meat as well. Been doing it for 30 years. Only the last 15 I have started making our own burger, sausage, snack stick, jerky etc. I bought a 1 HP grinder years ago and haven't looked back. If I had a walk in cooler I'd do my own been as well. Nothing is better than knowing how the burger was made and the care taken to keep the meat clean and sanitary. Years ago I had a friend who wanted me to make summer sausage for them from some Butcher ground venison. While opening and using the meat we found flies packaged right up in the ground meat. That's why I like doing it myself.

I grind my own game meat. I invested in a grinder as my first piece of processing equipment other than boning knives and tubs. I waited for good sale from LEM then purchased a really good one.

I would encourage you to buy a grinder. Not only do I get to process my own game meat but I enjoy premium pork sausages for cheap using pork butts and prepackaged seasonings.

Prior to purchasing a stuffer I just made bulk sausage and used my grinder to stuff meat bags. I enjoy eating Italian, chorizo, polish, brats and various breakfast blends of pork sausage. I’m going to make some boudin this year. And now have access to a smoker so I might do some smoked sausage like basic Hickory smoked , Andouille and Kielbasa.

I cant say if your the type to enjoy doing it but a good grinder will last a lifetime and after the initial investment it doesn't eat anything sitting on a shelf.

Macintosh

WKR
All I can say is $575 is WAAAAAY MORE THAN I've ever heard of for butchering a deer. Thats “eff you” pricing if you ask me. Deer processors around here get $150. Pretty sure I havent paid much if any more than that traveling either. Im sure some places its more but thats ridiculous. Unless its really hot out or we’re imminently leaving town we try to process ourselves because the result is always noticeably better quality and more meat, so Id say its definitely worth it.
We dont grind much off a deer, most if the fatty and small pieces we package up as-is for stew meat. I think last deer I butchered I only ground 4 or 5 lb…so take it with a grain of salt if youre one of thise guys that grinds half the animal, but a tiny grinder is plenty if you are only doing 1 or 2 a year.

JDOCUSMC

FNG
The KitchenAid hopper, grinding plates, and stuffers attachments work great as long as you're not grinding more than about 25# at a time. Super cheap if the ole lady or family has the mixer stand you can borrow.

I think it's definitely worth it. We got our daughters involved in processing when they were pretty young, they used to love grinding hamburger and making sausage. You always know what meat you're getting back and how clean it is going to be. We also take all of the scraps when we are done and throw them in the grinder with carrots and make dog treats. Put that in the 2 pound burger sacks and throw it in the freezer.

All I can say is $575 is WAAAAAY MORE THAN I've ever heard of for butchering a deer. Thats “eff you” pricing if you ask me. Deer processors around here get $150. Pretty sure I havent paid much if any more than that traveling either. Im sure some places its more but thats ridiculous. Unless its really hot out or we’re imminently leaving town we try to process ourselves because the result is always noticeably better quality and more meat, so Id say its definitely worth it.
We dont grind much off a deer, most if the fatty and small pieces we package up as-is for stew meat. I think last deer I butchered I only ground 4 or 5 lb…so take it with a grain of salt if youre one of thise guys that grinds half the animal, but a tiny grinder is plenty if you are only doing 1 or 2 a year.
I agree thats high for basic processing. You can get into that kind of price around here if you’re having someone making you snack sticks and sausage.

I too had a bad experience with a processor that led me to grinding my own. Used the kitchen aid grinder attachme t for a couple years then got an inexpensive Gander mtn 3/4 hp. I do a deer and an elk or 2 deer per yr on average. Cut the meat into reasonable chunks and trim the sinew and silverskin off and it has not let me down. Just don't ask the machine to do too much at once and even the 3/4 hp does the job. I don't use the premixed spices. I make myown and have used a mix the local butcher made for brats. My machine came with various tunes. I use them occasionally with great results. It is worth the extra effort to do your own. I don't add fat to my burger grind. I add 30 to 50% pork ( buy shoulder/butt on sale and grind your own) to my loose breakfast sausage or tube sausages.
A bad experience is many times where it starts.