Do you hit your dog ?

mi650

WKR
We have 3 big boys, (Dane, Dane/Mastiff, and Bull Mastiff) and very rarely 1 of them will get a smack on the butt.

5 or 6 years ago, we had a 5 y.o. English Mastiff who lost his mind. Short version, he wouldn't listen when told to lay down. I got up and wagged my finger in his face, he bit me. Yeah, he got hit. Many times. We got into a knockdown drag out fight. I ended up in the ER getting stitches and x-rays. I don't recommend fighting a 200 lb. dog.

Warmsy

WKR
Never have to hit my lab. Just yelling or looking at him gets his attentio. Although once he starts chasing a rabbit I just have to wait until he’s done😊
I'll have a conversation with my lab
You know what you did was wrong?
Are we going to do it again?
Good girl.

Labs are easy mode!

Edit: for the third time in a row she ate the neighbor dogs' food when she was about a year old. It made me mad and she got a swift kick in the butt. More of a failure on my part because I got frustrated. She now only eats the cat's food. And I hate the cat so it's ok.

JNDEER

WKR
Surprised to read soo many ignorant responses.

To the OP original question - yes, hitting a dog and using forms of negative correction don’t create an obedient/trained canine.

It takes WORK to train a canine - even the basics a family dog would get.

Read some books on positive reinforcement training.

TRAINING a canine is not easy. Striking a canine (much less a human) is simply lazy and will only create FEAR not RESPECT.

Warmsy

WKR
Surprised to read soo many ignorant responses.

To the OP original question - yes, hitting a dog and using forms of negative correction don’t create an obedient/trained canine.

It takes WORK to train a canine - even the basics a family dog would get.

Read some books on positive reinforcement training.

TRAINING a canine is not easy. Striking a canine (much less a human) is simply lazy and will only create FEAR not RESPECT.
Although I agree with you, respect is equal parts knowing something can be good for you and bad for you.
Waves: surfing, drowning
Dogs: companion, killer beast
Flowers: beauty, poison
And so on

Was gifted a one-year-old German Shepard with some bad habits. getting to the trash can was one.
Spending ten minutes in the trash can with the lid on and kick in the ass when let out was all it took.
Fast learner and has become one of those dogs you get once in a lifetime.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
my lab is pretty well behaved, never beat him but yelling at him seems to work very well.

its to the point now that i just say "digging" from when he was a puppy and he has the fear of God in his eyes.

I have grabbed him by the scruff of his neck when hes acting up, but never have i hit him.