Do you carry a PLB or sat phone?

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
The lightest PLB is about 4 oz which is appealing. Sat phones are a bit heavier and more expensive unless renting. I'm thinking about a PLB partially because my gf is worried and partially because it might just be a good idea if hunting alone in the wilderness. Any thoughts? PLB vs sat phone vs neither (in this case, just tell people where you're going and when you'll be back and when they should call for rescue if you haven't returned)?

Marshmstr

Lil-Rokslider
I use a spot....from hunting to camping with my little boy where we don't have cell service...peace of mind for wife and myself.....sat phone would be nice though, so if any thing went south on her in she could get in touch with me.

colonel00

WKR
+1 on the Delorme inReach. Not the lightest option but a fantastic little device.

I alway carry a sat phone. It's definitely not the cheapest route to go, because I always rent and have nothing to show for it at the end of the hunt, but they're very convenient, have worked well for me whenever I've used them, and the smallest ones are pretty light weight these days. My wife insists that I call and check in at least every other day or she starts to worry. I once did a moose hunt where we had to jet boat in about 500 miles up a series of rivers to get to the area where we were hunting and I didn't called her for a week, she was very, very pissed, to say the least, when I finally did give her a holler.

Trr15

WKR
Another delorme inreach user here. Gives my wife peace of mind, and admittedly me too.

MichaelD

FNG
InReach user here too. Upgraded from the SPOT. I am able to have quick two way text communication with family, SOS if needed and mapping updates of my location sent to my family and friends when needed so they can track me or see where I am. Like the flexibility in tailoring the plans/cost to my needs for in season or off season use.

KMT

WKR
ACR electronics ResQLink PLB. Small, light, registered with NOAA, 5 year life. No monthly fee. I need something for emergency use only.

Solitude

WKR
PLB just like KMT.

Just need it for an emergency. Fortunately have never ever needed to use it.

Not being "connected" is the exact experience I am going for when in the backcountry.

When I used the Spot for a couple years my wife felt maybe things were wrong if she did not get a transmission. It was actually worse for piece of mind for her.

xziang

WKR
I don't have one yet but from reading others on here and some 'research' I will probably go with the delorme InReach like some others.

deadwolf

WKR
Sat phone, bought one two years ago and love it for being able to give my wife peace of mind. I rented for a couple seasons at about $150 a pop, then found a nice Motorola that a guy never used for $300 on eBay. I carry it almost everywhere now including long drives here in Alaska where cell service can sometimes drop in and out.

PWCGray

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Sat phone is astronomically better if you can justify the cost. Just easier to communicate with than the other options. Iridium service has been the best for me throughout the west. Best purchases of the actual handsets have been off ebay. Lots of folks on the web sell different types of service plans - nothing simple about any of them - so read through the details and figure out what works for your situation. I did a rough analysis of owning vs renting, back in the day, and came to the conclusion that if you use one for more than 4-5 weeks per year, you might as well buy.

I've had clients with spots. They were unreliable and the lack of solid two way communication can drive you up a wall. Also, had a few clients and guides with the Inreach, and gotta say I think it's a great product. Keeping track of folks on the map is sweet!!! awesome messaging also.

I've rented 50+ phones from Mobal over the past few years. Reliable and right on in terms of logistics. Simple pricing. A bit weird because they are a UK based company I believe. Will likely make your credit card go nuts the first time. Customer service is off on another time zone. Lots of other guys that rent phones too. If you are only hunting a few weeks a year, rent a sat phone with an extra battery and you won't ever look back.

bbrown

WKR
PLB if you are looking for a 911 only communication.

Delorme InReach if you want 2 way text only.

Sat phone if you want/need the ability to actually talk back and forth.

Actually might be looking to sell my Iridium 9505a with a bunch of extras if you are interested - For my uses the InReach fits the bill nicely.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
Another appeal of the PLB to me is the disconnectedness of it. But the downside might be needing to communicate for a non-rescue reason. Sat phone users or InReach users, do you have any examples of why I would maybe need a sat phone for important non-rescue communications other than just saying "I'm ok" or otherwise checking in/chatting?

Pontius

FNG
Another appeal of the PLB to me is the disconnectedness of it. But the downside might be needing to communicate for a non-rescue reason. Sat phone users or InReach users, do you have any examples of why I would maybe need a sat phone for important non-rescue communications other than just saying "I'm ok" or otherwise checking in/chatting?

Perhaps: "Hey Popeye, hike to these coordinates and help me carry this elk outta here"