Do you bring a Sat phone/SPOT etc?

Iridium 9575.

It went on at least five backpacking trips with me last year and I was always able to get a text/call out, even in deep canyons. Sure you may have to wait two minutes for a satellite to clear a ridge but heck, I had daily comms with my family to check on things. Text or phone works well and the emergency button is kinda comforting if you've ever wondered about a debilitating injury.

I agree that you should be carrying something, at least a spot. I grew up when only rich investment bankers had cell (brick) phones, and I had to ask permission from my dad to use the family land line and compete with four siblings for air time, so I really appreciate the fact that technology could save my life or help me get home to help a loved one.

blb078

WKR
Been looking online at sat phones, what are some good places to buy a phone and get a plan from? I'll probably only be going on 3, 7 day trips a year so I wouldn't think I'd need a pricey plan but have no idea.

What about in terms of rentals?

Where would you rent and what would you rent for a SAT phone? Have a solo week long trip coming up. The gf said she will understand only with emergency device along.