Do I need Onx offroad if I have Onx hunt?

mgray

FNG
I'll be in a new Colorado unit deer hunting this year. I have Onx hunt and the COTREX app. I'm looking at a few trails/roads that cut through some private, but get to public land. For those of you that have tried Onx offroad, do you feel it's worth it? Does it show anything different than those other two apps?

Poser

WKR
I have both of the 2 same apps as you. My understanding is that the answer to your question is that you will get no additional benefit from having OnX Off-road, but i would like a more definitive answer as well.

My brother lives in CO and is super into the overland stuff, like that's his gig. He tells me and I quote "I recommend you download the COTREX app. It makes OnX look like garbage."

Last edited:

come2elmo

WKR
I used it during first rifle last week and it was largely useless. I got a free 6 months when I bought my jeep and gave it a shot because it supports car-play and I was hoping to use the bigger screen... The car play feature is very rudimentary. Offroad is really geared for the guys you want to find and know details about well established offroad jeep trails. Think Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, etc. For hunting Onx Hunt has more then enough road info for most folks. I even tried to import some of my OnX Hunt way-points into Offroad and they came in all weird. Even though they are related apps they use different way-points icons and in some cases colors so I had clean things up...seems odd that would happen but maybe an ID10T error on my part. I wouldn't waste any time with it. COTrex is handy though. It can show you fairly updated road status as well but it isn't really a navigation system. Note: COTrex is only for Colorado.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Couple guys I work with joined a big hunting lease in West Virginia, more to ride their new UTV's on more so than hunt. One was showing me his onxoffroad app, and honestly if you already have onxhunt, i dont see why u would need the offroad app, looked the same to me but with less "hunting features".

Granted i only saw it for 4 or 5 minutes on one piece of land and it did show most all of the roads/trails, on their lease and showed public land boundaries as well. just seemed like an excess charge for the secondary app to me

Does Onx offroad give driving directions using forest service roads that show up on onx hunt? I've thought it would be useful to measure walking distance down a road. I usually just roughly trace it using a line and that get me close enough.

def90

WKR
Go to the USFS website and then select the forest service district that you will be hunting in and then download their MVUM Motor Vehicle Use Map. The map will be current and will show you the status of every road and trail in their district in regards to what vehicles are allowed and whether the road is open or not.

Fatcamp

WKR
Onx decided to label a bunch of FS roads as private this year in the areas we hunt.

Their ability to read a MVUM is suspect.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Download the Avenza app and then download the MVUM maps for your area. It works offline and you'll have the current MVUM for road closures.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I have both.
The fact that they dont use the same waypoints, colors and layouts is frustrating.
The fact that they cant directly import to one another is madding.
The only plus to off road is it works with apple / android play.
IMO there is absoultely no value there.