Do Everything Shotgun

logem

FNG
I've got a number of rifles, AR-15's and pistols but no shotgun.

I have been very interested in the Remington model 870 marine 12 gauge as an additional option for home defense for many years, yet feel that I would like something more versatile since I would like to begin waterfowl or upland bird hunting too.

So I'm now looking at a Remington model 870 Fieldmaster Synthetic R68862 with with a 28" barrel for a utility hunting shotgun. I'm not interested in shiny metal or glossy wood stocks such as the Wingmaster. I'm hoping that I can get a 18" replacement barrel for home security and that the utility Fieldmaster.

Couple of questions:

- What would be a good option for an 18" home defense barrel for the Fieldmaster?
- Is there any advantage to purchasing a different version without the 3-1/2 magnum ability? There is another version available with max size of 3".

I appreciate any guidance and respect for my ignorance in the shotgun realm.

Thanks,

Mike

Unckebob

WKR
DO NOT buy a shotgun with one barrel with plans to buy an extra barrel later. Newco Remington isn't making extra barrels for the 870 to sell as parts. Extra barrels for any shotguns are very expensive right now.

The absolute best way to do what you want is to buy a "Combo" from Mossberg or Winchester. (Newco Remington, to my knowledge does not have any combo's out yet).

Based upon what you wrote, you are the perfect buyer for the Mossberg Maverick 88 Security/Field Combo (number 31014). For $293 (yes, you read that right), you get a Made in America shotgun with both an 18" home defense barrel and a 28" barrel. The 88 is essentially a Mossberg 500/590 with a few value parts made in Mexico. Most 500/590 parts, including barrels, will work in the Maverick 88. Best of all, they are known for being reliable and tough. Look for the TFBTV youtube video about a 500 round torture test: Shocker and the Maverick 88. It easily completed the torture test that more expensive guns failed to pass.

Mossberg offers some different options in Combo deals including their 500 version. Pick the one you like.

Last edited:
I second the Mossberg maverick 88 combo or the 500. Very good guns for the money and they get the job done.

If you're stuck on getting an 870 look for an older wingmaster or just an old 870 magnum (3" model), or even the express. Lots of barrels in 18" and 20" used to be out there but I haven't looked in a long time.
All stories about them being boat paddles and just keep going, those are typically old wingmasters that earned the 870 it's reputation.

Also you definitely don't need a 3.5". I shot 3.5" duck and turkey loads for several years and went back to shooting 3", my shoulder doesn't hurt, I hit more, and pattern better.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought an 870 12ga 3.5” shotgun with a 26” barrel when I started duck hunting back in the late 90s. I loved the 3.5” shell and didn’t find them to have too much recoil.

I’ve bought several new 20ga Express and the newer Fieldmaster shotguns with no issues with any of them.

If I were buying a 12ga, it would definitely be the 3.5” version. However, if you’re dead set on getting a second barrel, most aftermarket barrels are for a 3” chamber. They are easy to find for a couple hundred bucks, though.

Coldtrail

WKR
Mossberg 500 combo, I have 2, one in 20 and one in 12. The 20 is a compact/youth size and a very nice home/camp security gun, can be easily concealed. Alternate the magazine with slugs and #4 buck and can stop about any threat.

OP
L

logem

FNG
Thanks for the replies and pointing out the availability of purchasing a combo. It appears that this is the best choice for me, with the Mossberg 500 being a wise decision. Too bad that Remington isn't offering the Wingmaster in combo versions. If so, then I think I'd have chosen the 870.

Grew up with S&W pumps, damn near a clone of a wingmaster. Nice guns. Picked up an 870 express during the covid BS for stupid cheap. And its a cheap pile o crap. It does work though. I wouldnt buy another one.

I would probly be looking at mossberg (have no experience with them) Or stepping up to a M2

MThuntr

WKR
Hopefully the new 870s are better than the ones made in the last 30 years!

Get one with a 26 or 28" barrel forego the home defense worries. No need for 3.5" gun

NRA4LIFE

WKR
+2 on the after market barrels. I just looked into getting a slug barrel for a Browning and it was more (way more) than I paid for the gun. Go with a combo.

I still use an 870 made in 1952 iirc. I’ve got some newer ones, but the old 870 is by far my favorite to shoot still.

I love my 870, it was a gift to me and I have used it for all kinds of hunting. Several years ago I broke the buttstock so I replaced it with a polymer type thumb hole gig and it is much easier to shoot now. I have two barrels for it, one is 26” and the other is 18.5”. It has a few chokes, plus one for turkeys and has never let me down. It is also the only shotgun that I own.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Mossberg 500C that comes with the 18.5" and a 28" barrel for under 400.00 2 3/4-3" would be my recommendation for inexpensive and versatile I've had over 20k rounds through mine and still going strong all original never an extractor issue and easier to handle controls being a lefty but just as easy to teach right handed people with as well can get all the way up to 36" barrel for them and whatever furniture you would like easy enough. Just my two cents after owning over 20 shotguns