DIY Waterfowl Training Program for Dogs

Sherman

WKR
Just like the title says, looking for a step-by-step program to train my lab. She’s 3 years old. Bought her initially to hunt with….wife stole her and turned her into a house dog. Took her out dove hunting and she is a natural. After the first few long retrieves she just layed next to me waiting for the next shot to take off again. I have looked on the inter webs and can’t seem to find anything. Want to get her to the point that I can take her on goose and duck hunts. Most of our goose hunts are out of pits, so if I’m hunting alone I will take her out this year. All of our duck hunts are on ponds or rivers out of various types of blinds. She loves the water, isn’t gun shy at all, and has a soft mouth. She chased and retrieved wounded dove out to 200 yards. Getting her to bring the bird to me the last 10 yards was a chore and sometimes she gets a little excited early in the hunt and chases when she sees me shoulder my gun.

I would prefer a book over a DVD or video version. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Just like the title says, looking for a step-by-step program to train my lab. She’s 3 years old. Bought her initially to hunt with….wife stole her and turned her into a house dog. Took her out dove hunting and she is a natural. After the first few long retrieves she just layed next to me waiting for the next shot to take off again. I have looked on the inter webs and can’t seem to find anything. Want to get her to the point that I can take her on goose and duck hunts. Most of our goose hunts are out of pits, so if I’m hunting alone I will take her out this year. All of our duck hunts are on ponds or rivers out of various types of blinds. She loves the water, isn’t gun shy at all, and has a soft mouth. She chased and retrieved wounded dove out to 200 yards. Getting her to bring the bird to me the last 10 yards was a chore and sometimes she gets a little excited early in the hunt and chases when she sees me shoulder my gun.

I would prefer a book over a DVD or video version. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Waterdog is good. Maybe a little out dated now. I used Chris Akin's DVD series on my last lab. Duckdog I think it called, it was easy to follow.

Wheels

WKR
Freddie King has some really good videos, there is a small fee involved, but for a DIY'er its cheap compared to sending to a pro. As for books, I agree with the poster above, you can also look at Total Retriever Training by Mike Lardy.

Evan Graham's Smart Work is another good option. I bought the package with the DVDs and the book. If I had it to do over I'd have just bought the book.

total retriever training is what i've used, but you're about 30 months late on force fetching her, that last 10 yards for delivery to hand might be really hard to retrain at this point. Smart Work is another one that has a good reputation.

In a book , Tom Dokkens if you want a dog to go get birds
46d96a2f650074269002517ac88add55.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
Thanks, fellas. Lots of good info here I need to look into.

Not sure if he as any books, but the DVDs are phenomenal.

Again, not book related training and I know it's expensive but I've hear good things about Retriever Roadmap:

KurtR

WKR
Freddy kings program is by far the easiest program for a new person to follow with its videos. Its the best 60 dollars you could spend. Freddy will personally answer your questions.

Evan Grahm is good more focused on field trials and would be tough for a new person to understand all the concepts.

Mike Lardy total retriever training is the gold standard but again.

Denis Voigt training retrievers alone is a good one if you are by your self but again alot of focus on big dog stuff.

Could find a local hrc/akc club and learn from members which would be really good.

Its not to late to force fetch its really not to late to do anything. My friend has a 5 year old that he made in to a hrch so to just learn simple meat dog stuff will be do able.

Waterdog may have been good in the 60's its not worth the time.

Dogbone hunter not my cup of tea.

Dokens book is a good one but when you run into problems which you will its hard to self diagnose if you dont know what you are doing.

Retriever Road map is good Josh Miller is the real deal and a hell of a trainer only knock would be price.

I have watched and used about everything and take bits and pieces but i also have alot of pros i call when we are stuck.