DIY Spine Tester/ Indexer

Soskop

FNG
I didn't feel the need to buy a $300+ spine tester just to index my shafts, and was set on doing it myself, so, after many hours of research and Google searches, I present a bare bones wall mounted spine tester.

Notes:
The design is heavily influenced by others online. I do not claim to have designed this totally myself.

My dial indicator came with a mounting plate on the back that was not flat. Used a galvanized metal roofing stress plate instead.

Removed the plunger spring from the dial indicator, as it was causing some unnecessary noise. Seems a touch more accurate and easier to read as the dial isn't bouncing around as I spin the shaft.

I was too impatient to make a prettier weight, but I will and will post updates once done.

I used hooks instead of bearings because it was easier with this design. Works well for me, but may tinker with bearings later on.

Overall, I am super happy with it. It was actually fun to make. I wouldn't mind making a few more

Open to any and all feedback!

1000009895.jpg1000009896.jpg1000009897.jpg1000009898.jpg

ndfb35

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work 👌🏻 A reasonably priced alternative is from Ruff Lights. He 3D prints a kit that has worked well for me and the quality is above average.

OP
Soskop

Soskop

FNG
Nice work 👌🏻 A reasonably priced alternative is from Ruff Lights. He 3D prints a kit that has worked well for me and the quality is above average.
I'm not sure he's doing it anymore. At least, I cant find it anymore.

If I made more of these and sold them, they would probably sell around $100 based on material and how long it takes me.

OP
Soskop

Soskop

FNG
can you test some arrows of known spine to see how accurate it is ?
I will! I initially needed it just to index my arrows, so the weight is a little over 2lbs as it didn't need to be super accurate for just indexing. As soon as I get an actual weight built at the correct 1.94lbs I will test it and report back

OP
Soskop

Soskop

FNG
can you test some arrows of known spine to see how accurate it is ?
Redid my weight (still not pretty, but it works)

1000009938.jpg

Measured a dozen Victory RIP TKO 300 spine bare, uncut shafts and got the following measurements:

x4 .300
x2 .301
x3 .302
x1 .303
x1 .304
x1 .312

Not sure what's up with the one at .312, but I triple checked it, maybe it's just an outlier, but it would appear to be pretty accurate!