DIY Solo Archery Elk hunting SE Idaho 2022

I'm a poor college student looking to fill my own elk tag this year in SE Idaho and have no shortage of time and energy, the one thing I don't have is experience and skills. My plan is to virtually just spend as much time in the woods as possible to try and learn from trial and error, supplemented by the occasional Youtube video. I have most of the necessary gear and equipment to make it happen, but I don't know what I don't know... so what tips would you give to a newbie to help him start out on a good foot? What things do you wish you had known when you first started? I've been practicing calling and trying to sound good... do you have any advice on that can of worms? I guess the most important thing is just finding elk to play with, so how do I find where elk are? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

Rich.maes

FNG
Hike North face slopes, don’t be afraid to make noise while hiking, sure you can get into calling back and forth with elk but most of the time In pressured areas they do not call much at all. Cow call while hiking. If you hear something big brake sticks or bust out, it’s elk. Cow call them back in and be patient. If you can get a bull to answer I usually mimic what they do and it pisses them off enough to challenge and come in.

I had a job where I drove around between the hours of midnight and 5am at the time I was getting into hunting. Where I live there’s a couple well known herds of elk that spend their lives on private land and rarely get shot at. When times were slow I’d just park on the road with my windows down listening to them and during the rut I’d have some pretty in depth conversations late at night away from the prying eyes of passerby’s.

The things you learn from those experience are hard to explain and harder yet to learn without experiencing it first hand.

Your idea of spending as much time hunting as possible is spot on and I’d add finding some elk you can spend time around to watch their behavior! Any time spent around elk is time well spent!

Good luck!

fatlander

WKR
Hunt elk where they are, not where you want them to be. Cover country until you’re where they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legend

WKR
1) You will not arrow an elk if the wind is not right.
2) Your effective shooting range is likely half of what you think it is when you are under pressure in a real hunting scenario.

I'm a poor college student looking to fill my own elk tag this year in SE Idaho and have no shortage of time and energy, the one thing I don't have is experience and skills. My plan is to virtually just spend as much time in the woods as possible to try and learn from trial and error, supplemented by the occasional Youtube video. I have most of the necessary gear and equipment to make it happen, but I don't know what I don't know... so what tips would you give to a newbie to help him start out on a good foot? What things do you wish you had known when you first started? I've been practicing calling and trying to sound good... do you have any advice on that can of worms? I guess the most important thing is just finding elk to play with, so how do I find where elk are? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!
This is awesome, I would love to get out and spend some time hunting alone! I am in the same boat and am using Youtube and here as my main source of information.

OP
TheColorCamo
Hike North face slopes, don’t be afraid to make noise while hiking, sure you can get into calling back and forth with elk but most of the time In pressured areas they do not call much at all. Cow call while hiking. If you hear something big brake sticks or bust out, it’s elk. Cow call them back in and be patient. If you can get a bull to answer I usually mimic what they do and it pisses them off enough to challenge and come in.
What's special about north-facing slopes?

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
North facing slopes and dark timber are where elk typically bed. Its cooler on that side, out of the sun. And thicker. If you are archery hunting, wallows are a great place to put cameras. There is a lot of information on this site. And just about any question has been asked so use the search bar. Not sure what your experience level is but judging by the north slope question I would guess not much. I could be wrong. Regardless, probably be hard pressed to find somebody that will type out a whole response on what a north slope is, and what thermals do in there, and where the elk are in there and where they bed inside said north slope. Use that search bar man. Good luck on your tag.

Google Paul Medel and listen to what he has to say on podcasts. You wont regret it! He also has a website, the elk nut.

If you're not confident in your calling, especially your bugling, just rake trees, stomp around, roll rocks, breathe heavy, etc. Elk make lots more noise than just vocalizations.

Tough to kill one calling by yourself tho. I probably would only call if spot and stalk wasn't an option.