DIY shoulder mount?

OP
B

brushape

WKR
Would you be willing to share what all you needed and any tips? Would you do it again? I'm debating giving it a try on a whitetail I just shot.

Hey long time since I replied to this post I’ve actually done a handful of other mounts since this first one and they get easier every time. I guess I could come up with a list of what I needed. A lot of the tools are just normal stuff I had already like a drill or saw and some is arts and crafts type stuff from my daughter. The most time consuming part by far is the tanning and fleshing but I’ve got that much simplified lately by using a pressure washer to flesh it and then I tan in krowtan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

brushape

WKR
d833c9768bae03d5fff0ea82e21f1eb4.jpg

OP
B

brushape

WKR
That’s my first mount the blacktail and my most recent is that antelope which still needs finish painting work

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
d833c9768bae03d5fff0ea82e21f1eb4.jpg

They look great! I'd really like to give it a shot. If you wouldn't mind posting your process or resources, tips, etc. I'd really appreciate it. If you'd rather pm that works too. I was looking at starting with a rinehart kit, not sure if that's the way to go though? I think I have most of the tools/patience needed

OP
B

brushape

WKR
Really came out well ! I'm sending you my Bull Elk antlers and cape so you can do a full life-size mount for me.

Lol no no no, I told myself I was retired after doing my antelope but I’ve committed to doing another and have to follow through on it. That may be the end of my taxidermy career

OP
B

brushape

WKR
They look great! I'd really like to give it a shot. If you wouldn't mind posting your process or resources, tips, etc. I'd really appreciate it. If you'd rather pm that works too. I was looking at starting with a rinehart kit, not sure if that's the way to go though? I think I have most of the tools/patience needed

The list might be pretty long I would recommend sitting down and watching some YouTube on the subject and joining some of the taxidermy groups on Facebook they are a wealth of Knowledge. I did no start with a kit myself because they don’t make them for blacktail. The main things you have to buy from a taxidermy story are the form, ear liners and eyes. I use clay from Walmart, paint from Walmart, I use acrylic caulk for hide paste, and braided fishing line for thread

I’m not very handy and not very patient. I admire those who can do this type of project. I dont start a project I cant finish in a half hour. I might try a skull cap mount someday. Dang sure to be a real fandango.

Nice work! The airbrush : supplies and skills might hold me back... you did a great job. I tanned the hide of first muley I got for a wall hang and fleshing that was a chore.