DIY Seek Outside DST Tarp Clone

For my first MYOG project, I decided to make a clone of a Seek Outside DST Tarp. I purchased materials from Dutchware Gear.

Xenon Sil 1.1 $6.00/yard x 7 yards = $42

300D pack material $4.00 x ½ yard x = $4

5/8” Grosgrain $0.25/yard x 6 yards = $1.50

Gutermann Tera 80 thread $3.40 x 1 = $3.40

Permatex flowable silicone $6.50 x 1 = $6.50

Shipping =$10.90

All in all, it came out to $68.30 for all of the materials. Overall, for a first sewing project, this was doable. Essentially, it is just sewing 2 pieces of silpoly or silnylon together with a flat felled seam and adding the tieout loops. Then finishing the edge with a rolled hem. Joining the 2 pieces of Xenon together was tricky as it is super thin and slippery. This took took a couple of tries to get right. If you’re just starting out, I would recommend making something smaller first like some stuff sacks. A little bit of sewing practice at first would have eliminated a lot of the headaches I ran into on this project. After seam sealing the tarp came out to 13.6 oz.

I got to try this out in the Mark Twain National Forest back in February and it actually worked great. Got some pretty decent rain and wind overnight and the tarp held up well and I stayed dry. I really like the Xenon (silpoly). It has no stretch and doesn’t absorb water like silnylon so, your tarp pitch stays nice and tight.

Anyway, just thought I would share to encourage any members out there that are interested in taking a shot at making their own gear. Go for it. I have no experience sewing, so if I can pull this off so can you. Since the tarp turned out so well, I’ve since made a bivy sack too.

IMG_20200126_151656.jpg

IMG_20200209_091933.jpgIMG_20200208_170853.jpg
IMG_20200208_181730.jpg

Last edited:
OP
dukesilver
Where did you buy those materials?

Dutchware Gear. I've bought from them twice and had good experiences both times.

ripstopbytheroll.com is another good source for materials as well.

Hayden87

FNG
Very cool! I’ve wanted to get a sewing machine for some time. Being so thin did you need anything special on the machine end?

Doddse1

FNG
For my first MYOG project, I decided to make a clone of a Seek Outside DST Tarp. I purchased materials from Dutchware Gear.

Xenon Sil 1.1 $6.00/yard x 7 yards = $42

300D pack material $4.00 x ½ yard x = $4

5/8” Grosgrain $0.25/yard x 6 yards = $1.50

Gutermann Tera 80 thread $3.40 x 1 = $3.40

Permatex flowable silicone $6.50 x 1 = $6.50

Shipping =$10.90

All in all, it came out to $68.30 for all of the materials. Overall, for a first sewing project, this was doable. Essentially, it is just sewing 2 pieces of silpoly or silnylon together with a flat felled seam and adding the tieout loops. Then finishing the edge with a rolled hem. Joining the 2 pieces of Xenon together was tricky as it is super thin and slippery. This took took a couple of tries to get right. If you’re just starting out, I would recommend making something smaller first like some stuff sacks. A little bit of sewing practice at first would have eliminated a lot of the headaches I ran into on this project. After seam sealing the tarp came out to 13.6 oz.

I got to try this out in the Mark Twain National Forest back in February and it actually worked great. Got some pretty decent rain and wind overnight and the tarp held up well and I stayed dry. I really like the Xenon (silpoly). It has no stretch and doesn’t absorb water like silnylon so, your tarp pitch stays nice and tight.

Anyway, just thought I would share to encourage any members out there that are interested in taking a shot at making their own gear. Go for it. I have no experience sewing, so if I can pull this off so can you. Since the tarp turned out so well, I’ve since made a bivy sack too.

View attachment 171425

View attachment 171426View attachment 171429
View attachment 171430
Awesome Tarp dude. Would you consider adding a stove jack to it or keep as is?

OP
dukesilver
Awesome Tarp dude. Would you consider adding a stove jack to it or keep as is?

Since with a flat tarp like this you can't really pitch it sealed to the ground on all sides, I don't think it would be ideal with a stove. Plus, I just bought a Cimarron with a large U turn stove for cold weather trips. I will likely use this tarp as and emergency shelter and on solo warm weather trips with my DIY bivy that I made. More of a light and fast set up. Cimarron for with another guy and a stove.

If I were to make something with a stove jack, it would probably be similar to live2hunt's DIY megatarp here:

zacattack

WKR
What do you think of the Xenon? I’ve been deciding on it or rip stop by the rolls membrane silpoly for a tarp/tent.

OP
dukesilver
What do you think of the Xenon? I’ve been deciding on it or rip stop by the rolls membrane silpoly for a tarp/tent.

I really like the Xenon. It has almost no stretch so it is easy to get a nice tight pitch on your tarp. Also, it doesn't sag nearly as much overnight as some other silnylon tarps that I've had. I've had it out in some pretty windy and rainy conditions and it kept me dry all night. The material seems plenty durable for a lightweight fabric but only time will tell.