DIY Resources

If I was going to suggest one source it would be Elknut. In the process of teaching you how to make elk sounds he also teaches you how to call elk. There’s a difference. And during the course of learning the language you are also learning about behavior and habits of elk. Priceless.

One thing you’ll never learn online is how to find a good elk hunting area. You can learn what elk prefer, where they hang out at various times of the year or times of the day. But you can’t apply any of the above until you’re somewhere where there are actually elk. For that I’d follow the advice of 5MikesBack and Trophy hill. Just get out there. Don’t want to waste an elk tag? Go out in the summer and spend some time in the mountains. A week or two with boots on the ground is literally worth a year on the internet.

And….. do NOT choose a place or state to hunt in because it’s the easiest place to get a license or the shortest drive from where you live. I always tell people the longest drive is the one home with no meat or antlers. This means you’ll have to study up on licensing systems in various states. Some guys absolutely hate that. They see the letters OTC and say yeah that’s what I’m talking about. When I plan hunts every decision I make has to inch the odds of success at least a little more in my favor. Does an OTC license or a shorter drive accomplish that? No. Not that those places don’t have elk but what else do they have? A shitload of hunters AND elk that know how to avoid them. Good luck!

gabenzeke

WKR
Get gohunt and OnX.
Podcasts: hunt Backcountry, hunt talk with Randy Newberg, elk talk, gohunt has a podcast, huntin fool has one, some of the old gritty bowmen podcasts are good, kifarucast is a good one.
I think between podcasts, YouTube, and gohunt/onx you can be well on your way to putting plans together. The gear comes as you go. I'd start mostly with what you have and build out your kit as you get experience. A good pair of boots and a pack is where I'd spend most of my money at first.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk