DIY NM Off Range Oryx HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Sliders,

I moved to New Mexico from New Jersey about a year ago, and this website has been a tremendous place to lurk. Being completely unexperienced with western hunting, or big game hunting for that matter (my experience is in bird hunting,) I've learned a lot from searching around on the forum.

Well, I pulled my first big game tag, and it's an off-range Oryx hunt. I understand it's a difficult hunt, but I want to DIY it, so I'm trying to absorb as much information as I can between now and December. I've got a pretty good idea of the equipment I'll need, and I understand the un-deer-like location of the animals' vitals, but I'm totally overwhelmed with figuring out a scouting plan having never scouted big game before.

North to south, White Sands looks to be about 1/3 the length of the state, and most of it is surrounded by BLM land. I imagine the most popular approach would be to stick to the areas between routes 25/54/380 and the missile base, right? Would there be any value in hunting the BLM land on the eastern boundary of Ft Bliss, or would that be a long way out of the way for an unlikely Oryx sighting? If anyone here is from the area, is there a quadrant that I should focus on, or do they spread out in all directions from the missile base?

I’m really just hoping to be pointed in a general direction, because I’m starting to think I’m biting off more than I can chew. I’m about 3 hours from T or C, so I plan on making a few scouting treks, but I’m having analysis paralysis when it comes to where I should even be looking.

Thanks in advance. If this is approaching guarded information, feel free to let me know. I’m not trying to expose anyone’s honey holes, if there is such a thing for Oryx.

JPD350

WKR
Take the time to go drive everywhere and I mean everywhere, glass until your eyes hurt. Take a few hikes but not too many, just to get the boots broke in. Look for tracks along fences and around water, after you do that then do exactly the same thing for your hunt, no big deal, just lots of fuel and time, you got this! actually you got my tag but it's cool and now you know how to Oryx hunt, have a great hunt.

OP
Mumbly-Peg
Take the time to go drive everywhere and I mean everywhere, glass until your eyes hurt. Take a few hikes but not too many, just to get the boots broke in. Look for tracks along fences and around water, after you do that then do exactly the same thing for your hunt, no big deal, just lots of fuel and time, you got this! actually you got my tag but it's cool and now you know how to Oryx hunt, have a great hunt.

Thanks! I’ll try not to leave that big bull for you next year.

I’m thinking WSMR is about 200 miles of fence, so the task is a bit daunting. I hear they’re all the way out near Carlsbad though, so I’m wondering if skirting the fence is even necessary.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide. You should take an opportunity to look around a bit and you'll find this community is pretty awesome.

Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions. Any unit question/answers remain out in the world wide webs forever, which can doom some really great spots.

Rokslide's administrations expectation is that all long standing Rokslide members will understand and support this concept and take all such conversations to private message.

Yes it's a hassle to join and be part of this community but the rewards are worth the effort including the ability to send and receive private messages.

Hope to see you active in the forums, and good luck on your hunt, that's a really good tag

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.