Diy Magview Spotting scope adapter!

Have you ever had an Idea so crazy it might just work!?
So I imagine most of the people reading this Diy Forum like to save a buck or two when they can. For this reason, I have a hard time dropping $160 bucks on the map view spotting scope adapter, but man do I want one because they seem to solve the problem of products like the phone scope present. A big ole bulky case that isn't always simple to use.
So over the next week or so here are my plans to make one.
Here is what I will use.
1. old phone scope case and adapter.
2. a reverse Iphone Magsafe magnet See here
(If you don't have a iphone you should be able to use the second sticker on your phone case to make it a magsafe compatible. )
3. a Dremel

So my plan is to take one of my old phone scope cases, and cut the side walls of the case off, simply put the magsafe magnet onto the now flat portion of the phone scope case, and aline it to so the camera matches up with the hole etc.
That's it! This magnet should hold it very tight and keep it from rotating etc.
I'll post some pictures and a diy as I complete the project and test it out. It seems like it wil be very simple and straight forward!

Edit: Here are the pics
Alright guys it’s was just as easy as I thought. So there is a few ways to do this, and I didn’t know if it would work so Instead of using my case and messing it up, I just used a piece of scrap plastic and cut some slits with the dremel. Etc. knowing what I know now I would probably just use the case and dremel the corners off. In fact if you are a no case sort of guy you can leave the corners on and just take out the rubber tabs.
So again your options are.
1. Use phone scope case and cut the corners off
2. Use phonescope case and use no case or a thin case on your phone and take the rubber corner pieces out (reversible)
3. Use scrap plastic and cut slits to work with the adapter.

All you need is a MagSafe magnet from Amazon $9

Your old phone scope
And maybe a dremel.
Let me know if you have any questions
View attachment 457135View attachment 457136View attachment 457137View attachment 457134

Last edited:
OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
Alright guys it’s was just as easy as I thought. So there is a few ways to do this, and I didn’t know if it would work so Instead of using my case and messing it up, I just used a piece of scrap plastic and cut some slits with the dremel. Etc. knowing what I know now I would probably just use the case and dremel the corners off. In fact if you are a no case sort of guy you can leave the corners on and just take out the rubber tabs.
So again your options are.
1. Use phone scope case and cut the corners off
2. Use phonescope case and use no case or a thin case on your phone and take the rubber corner pieces out (reversible)
3. Use scrap plastic and cut slits to work with the adapter.

All you need is a MagSafe magnet from Amazon $9

Your old phone scope
And maybe a dremel.
Let me know if you have any questions
7CA6D70C-5C9E-4321-9F73-4BA7E1AAF82A.jpegABFF2F6E-48B1-4F24-A4D0-F7DFE64B2556.jpegC1DAA1B7-3E11-4442-80A6-4CEBF79F3559.jpegBE6D24DB-E6A3-4776-9A51-3016F1BD18C5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
And for your enjoyment here is a video.

Have you ever had an Idea so crazy it might just work!?
So I imagine most of the people reading this Diy Forum like to save a buck or two when they can. For this reason, I have a hard time dropping $160 bucks on the map view spotting scope adapter, but man do I want one because they seem to solve the problem of products like the phone scope present. A big ole bulky case that isn't always simple to use.
So over the next week or so here are my plans to make one.
Here is what I will use.
1. old phone scope case and adapter.
2. a reverse Iphone Magsafe magnet See here
(If you don't have a iphone you should be able to use the second sticker on your phone case to make it a magsafe compatible. )
3. a Dremel

So my plan is to take one of my old phone scope cases, and cut the side walls of the case off, simply put the magsafe magnet onto the now flat portion of the phone scope case, and aline it to so the camera matches up with the hole etc.
That's it! This magnet should hold it very tight and keep it from rotating etc.
I'll post some pictures and a diy as I complete the project and test it out. It seems like it wil be very simple and straight forward!
I have one as well and it’s a great addition

I came up with this version here. Using butler creek flex cap and some magnets I epoxied on to the cap. Works really good. Just pop the BC cap off when done using. Total cost: $23.81

IMG-8702.jpgIMG-8703.jpg70501356182--B76BF952-0A33-40C1-AE27-072799110707.jpg70501357691--0BB976EC-EC1A-42BF-9901-EB24D8B2969A.jpg

How do you get perfect alignment everytime you put it on without adjusting it around?
Just using the screen to get it close and it lines right up. Doesn't seem to be an issue for me getting it lined up and it stays where you leave it, I was carrying my tripod around and it did not move.

danwolf

FNG
I think the Magview may be worth it with my binos. I’m just tired of buying a new phone scope adapter or the Olin which needs a new case.

I tried my old phone scope adapter for my binos and taped magnets on it to test with my magnetic phone case I use(Rockform). Works pretty good.

Attachments

• 7F99132F-F581-4670-AF6F-2A385E916BDB.jpeg
    7F99132F-F581-4670-AF6F-2A385E916BDB.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 36

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing this back up since I was interested in the magview but the shipping to Hawaii is $30 while the rest of the US is $10. Remembered one of my guys has this phone case called a magbak so I was curious about doing the same as OP using an old Phoneskope case and eye piece adapter...hope it works.

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
Just with the 3d printing process or you just didn’t like the magview style?

Does that case snap on to the spotter now?
Both. I had trouble getting the hinge parts to stay straight enough and I also didn't like how far from the lens the phone was or lining it up. I put small magnets in those round holes and printed an eyepiece for the spotter with a circle of magnets that match but with opposite polarity.