DIY First Aid Kit

fwafwow

WKR
Not much to using a tourniquet honestly. 3 inches above the wound and turn until the pulse cannot be felt below the wound. If that puts you at a joint go above it. Its uncomfortable and is supposed to hurt. Improvised tourniquet can be made with special attention to not use cordage or other thin things that will damage tissue without effectively cutting off the blood supply. Once applied document the time and location it was applied so medical professionals know whats up. If one tourniquet isn't stopping blood flow then apply another above it.

I’m not saying you are suggesting doing so, but some on RS have referenced the ability to make an improvised tourniquet as a reason to not carry a commercial TQ. See this post and the linked video.

Thread 'Improvised tourniquets'
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/improvised-tourniquets.351719/

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
O

I’m not saying you are suggesting doing so, but some on RS have referenced the ability to make an improvised tourniquet as a reason to not carry a commercial TQ. See this post and the linked video.

I've never had to use a TQ, but I always carry one in the backcountry and keep one immediately available in my vehicle. I have an acquaintance who was no doubt saved by the application of one last season when caught in an avalanche and had a broken femur. His partner was able to get a TQ on quickly, hit the SOS and the guy was dangling from a helicopter inside of 2-3 hours. Obviously, wilderness first aid requires some level of improvisation, but unsure why anyone would plan on using improvisation when it comes to preventing someone from bleeding out in a matter of minutes. The more skilled one is at first aid, the greater the ability to improvise. However, the ones relying exclusively on a roll of TP and duct tape (which likely aren't even stored together as a pair) for a first aid kit generally are the last people you want to rely on for medical improvisation when its you who are bleeding out. Seems to be a direct correlation between knowledge base and an appropriate first aid kit.

Drenalin

WKR
Someone else might be able to confirm, but I believe the recommendation has changed from high and tight to a few inches above the injury - fwiw.
Correct.

MeatEater podcast episode 192 has some good stuff on this.

YouTube is also great resource as some have mentioned. I watched a few videos today and relistened to part of that podcast. There is no lasting damage from a tourniquet that’s on longer than most would think- I want to say they said 6 hours. It beats the alternative either way…
The last WFA course I took, a year and a half ago, confirmed this. To the point that the instructor recommended going to the tourniquet pretty quickly in the event of uncontrolled bleeding, rather than spending a lot of time jacking around with pressure bandages. I think I'm still a pressure pressure pressure guy until it becomes obvious that isn't working, but apparently the last 20 years of the war on terror taught us properly applied tourniquets aren't the bugaboo they were once thought to be.

Also worth mentioning that the tourniquet has improvisational uses beyond its intended purpose.

crich

WKR

Cheap insurance to carry one. If Im in a situation where I need one I want to be able to apply one quickly and easily and not fiddle around with improvising one unless I have to. Especially if one arm or hand is disabled because of the Injury.

Riggers belt works great but I don't wear a belt since switching to SG pants 😎. Like you said in your post stopping blood flow is one thing securing it is another.

An AED wouldn't be on my list unless I were hunting with someone who has a history of A-fib and even then I might not bring it. You can cardiovert and benefit them. If they're in V-fib or asystole, call the medical examiner. There's a small percentage of people who can be saved by early difibrilation and even then they need a hospital/cath lab ASAP.
That’s some good information to have. The high numbers we were told in the first aid course must be related to the extended care from trained medical practitioners.
I guess all that will be left for me to do then is hand over the paperwork for him to sign leaving me his Argo and bino’s lol

Sled

WKR
That’s some good information to have. The high numbers we were told in the first aid course must be related to the extended care from trained medical practitioners.
I guess all that will be left for me to do then is hand over the paperwork for him to sign leaving me his Argo and bino’s lol

In a best case scenario you'd see the person drop in the hospital, get a couple rounds of compression to cycle in fresh blood and then use the AED. If you get a perfusing rhythm back you can wheel them into a cath lab.

Early defibrillation does work but there's more to it than that. In the woods you'll see lower survival rates than city streets.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t remember what they are called but it’s essentially a stick anywhere bandaged connected to another bandage making a zipper. Far easier than stitching yourself up! Maybe worth a look
May have already been said, but Clozex and ZZips are what comes to mind. Not quite ideal for one handed operation, but it's not a needle.

Last edited:

Mark.c

FNG
Another consideration is to have immediate access to trauma items (TQ, pressure bandage, clot gauze, etc.) possibly separate from the med kit “extras” for long term care. I have seen med kits buried in backpacks or left when conducting a stalk. I typically keep my med kit in a detachable backpack lid that doubles as my stalk bag. Another good place is on binocular harness.

tony

WKR
Tourniquets are a huge debate.
I keep a few of these as they are cheap, small, and serves a few purposes.
They have their fans and haters

I cross referenced a few commercial kits as well as the Slide and came up with this. Weighs in at 12.4oz in a roll top waterproof bag. The bag is a bit big but I already had it, so ounce weenies could lighten this a bit I'm sure.

I've had very negative reactions to deer hide before (airway closing, etc.) hence the inhaler. Not something I hope to ever deal with in the backcountry....

Med Kit
ScopeQty
Imodium4
Benadryl4
Aspirin4
Ibuprofen4
Tylenol4
Pepto4
Antibiotic Cream1
Enhaler1
Tweezers1
Leuko Tape1
Hydrocortisone1
Bandaids: Regular2
Bandaids: 2x42
Bandaids: Finger Tip2
Bandaids: Knuckle2
Superglue1
Vasoline1
Gauze1
Torniquent1
Israeli Bandage1

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
My current kit, fairly simple. Missing from this picture is a small role of luekotape. OTC meds are in one of the packets, I think if bought the last refill at REI.

Attachments

• IMG_20200727_204108.jpg
    IMG_20200727_204108.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 7

Poser

WKR
Another consideration is to have immediate access to trauma items (TQ, pressure bandage, clot gauze, etc.) possibly separate from the med kit “extras” for long term care. I have seen med kits buried in backpacks or left when conducting a stalk. I typically keep my med kit in a detachable backpack lid that doubles as my stalk bag. Another good place is on binocular harness.
Definitely something I often find myself considering. I moved away from using a lid for awhile and went back to one for pretty much this reason as my med kit ended up a buried and, as you pointed out, I've been considering breaking my kit up into a larger bag and a smaller bag with a TQ and pressure bandage that is immediately available. Where I run into some problems is different packs for different activities: hunting, scouting, backpacking, day hiking/peak bagging etc, backcountry skiing and so on -various packs with varied configurations. For example, I often use an air bag when backcountry skiing, but not always and my airbag pack is a completely different configuration than my non airbag pack -would be ideal to have some consistency throughout. I find myself thinking about that more when backcountry skiing since there is so much more inherent risk. The constant change of layers makes chest rigs impractical. I already spend enough time cussing at a bino harness -I really don't want to trick one out with add ons.

I've even considered starting to carry some type of med kit while resort skiing as I have came across very injured parties at least 3-4 times in the last few years as the first on the scene and had to call ski patrol and send someone to contact them when there was no service. In those cases, there was nothing a med kit would have done as. they were neck and back injuries, but one could just as easily come across someone at risk of bleeding out.

At the same time, you can contextualize that perspective with the fact that you are comparably "extremely prepared" just by the fact that you have a kit that can deal with many injury scenarios for at least the short term even if you have to dump your pack contents to use it. That is a contrast to not carrying anything at all or a very minimal kit that is going to rely on Macgyvering any situation with TP and duct tape. For me at least, it seems to be this ever evolving setup.

fwafwow

WKR
This is my med kit for the beach where they have had a series of shark bites. The SWAT-T is from years ago before I knew they were not TCCC approved, but as @tony mentioned, they can still serve other purposes. IMG_1802.jpeg

Poser

WKR
This is my med kit for the beach where they have had a series of shark bites. The SWAT-T is from years ago before I knew they were not TCCC approved, but as @tony mentioned, they can still serve other purposes. View attachment 724175

As a shark bite survivor, I salute you, sir. I came ashore to absolutely no help at all -projectile vomited on the beach from swimming so hard and had to pogo stick 300 yards across the beach up and down the other side of a sand dune spraying blood the entire way before as I was offered so much as a towel to stop the bleeding. -still have a tiger shark tooth that was embedded in my ankle even though the sheriff deputies attempted to keep it as "evidence" for their "investigation" while attempting to gaslight me into believing that I wasn't in fact bitten by a shark.

Poser, hell of a beer drinking story! ( I hope no or very minor lasting damage) Reminds me of the scene from Jaws. I will drink to your leg.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I would take the weight of a torniquet before the weight of a chest seal. The torniquet is more likely to be needed.

One chest trauma, plenty of non-penetrating and non-sucking chest wounds can need decompression. My guess is the odds of a fall with rib fractures leading to a tension pneumo is higher than a penetrating injury, even in hunting.

If you hunt with older people, or anyone on anticoagulation (commonly called "blood thinners"), mineral based products like the NAR Combat Gauze are a poor choice as they require a functional clotting cascade (the exact thing we are intentionally degrading the function of with anticoagulants). A chitin based product (Celox, ChitoSAM, Chitogauze to list the brands I'm aware of) is the better choice.

Mark.c

FNG
Definitely something I often find myself considering. I moved away from using a lid for awhile and went back to one for pretty much this reason as my med kit ended up a buried and, as you pointed out, I've been considering breaking my kit up into a larger bag and a smaller bag with a TQ and pressure bandage that is immediately available. Where I run into some problems is different packs for different activities: hunting, scouting, backpacking, day hiking/peak bagging etc, backcountry skiing and so on -various packs with varied configurations. For example, I often use an air bag when backcountry skiing, but not always and my airbag pack is a completely different configuration than my non airbag pack -would be ideal to have some consistency throughout. I find myself thinking about that more when backcountry skiing since there is so much more inherent risk. The constant change of layers makes chest rigs impractical. I already spend enough time cussing at a bino harness -I really don't want to trick one out with add ons.

I've even considered starting to carry some type of med kit while resort skiing as I have came across very injured parties at least 3-4 times in the last few years as the first on the scene and had to call ski patrol and send someone to contact them when there was no service. In those cases, there was nothing a med kit would have done as. they were neck and back injuries, but one could just as easily come across someone at risk of bleeding out.

At the same time, you can contextualize that perspective with the fact that you are comparably "extremely prepared" just by the fact that you have a kit that can deal with many injury scenarios for at least the short term even if you have to dump your pack contents to use it. That is a contrast to not carrying anything at all or a very minimal kit that is going to rely on Macgyvering any situation with TP and duct tape. For me at least, it seems to be this ever evolving setup.
I agree you can never be 100% set up. Some guys like a small waist pack set up for on-body carry of essential items for various activities. They work well with pack belts and are more convenient for clothing changes.

Sled

WKR
I would take the weight of a torniquet before the weight of a chest seal. The torniquet is more likely to be needed.

One chest trauma, plenty of non-penetrating and non-sucking chest wounds can need decompression. My guess is the odds of a fall with rib fractures leading to a tension pneumo is higher than a penetrating injury, even in hunting.

If you hunt with older people, or anyone on anticoagulation (commonly called "blood thinners"), mineral based products like the NAR Combat Gauze are a poor choice as they require a functional clotting cascade (the exact thing we are intentionally degrading the function of with anticoagulants). A chitin based product (Celox, ChitoSAM, Chitogauze to list the brands I'm aware of) is the better choice.

You're correct. I do greater than 10:1 but I don't work in the city where people get stabbed and shot. I see very few sucking chest wounds but I've needle decompressed dozens.

I carry a couple 14g 3" for that purpose when snowmobiling. I do not carry those while hunting but I do have knife.

Marbles,

I'm trying to remember if you're a medic or M.D.?