DIY Backstop with Rubber Stall Mat

slvrslngr

WKR
Should work well. Did you bounce any nocks when hitting it? I've used a big piece of conveyer belt and it worked well, similar in composition to the stall mat.

I have two full size ones set up. One is in the basement, I used 2 2x2s on the short edge to "sandwich" it, then screwed in eye hooks and suspended it using chain from my floor truss so I can shoot indoors. The second one is outside. I used three pieces of "top rail" for fencing, galvanized aluminum, side pieces are 8 foot, cross bar is 5 foot. Side pieces sunk in ground suspend the mat from the cross bar pretty much the same way I did the one in the basement.

OP
M
I've hit the mat with several arrows since I first put it together in the 4x6' format.

Haven't had nocks bounce out.

Arrows come out easy enough. They do need a little coaxing but not bad. You wouldn't want to pin a paper target to the rubber and use it for a primary backstop, that would get old fast, and the rubber would not last too long with constant hits.

Shooting the fatter field points like the 200gr/250 gr, It is easier to unscrew the point before pulling the shaft back out.

Shooting the 35# bow, with a 400-ish grain arrow, the point typically goes through about 2-3" out the back. Even at 40 yards it penetrates almost that much.

Shooting the 50# bow, with a 600gr arrow, it penetrates more like 6" or so out the back.

Here's a before/after of the relative size. I believe the 4x6 mat is around 80 lbs.

hj3idLy.jpg

Uf1M7m9.jpg

I use one for my compound bow. I have mine on A wood frame and the only issue I have is a shot bad enough to hit the frame. I hit it once with a broad head and had to u screw it to get the shaft free.

Matt1214

Lil-Rokslider
My wife built one! We used a stall mat from tractor supply 6x4 I believe for $48. All the wood was scrap. I shoot my 68# bow into it and arrows only go about halfway. Works amazing. Self heals too, can't tell where Ive shot it

Attachments

• IMG_2857.jpg
    IMG_2857.jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 36

ShakeDown

WKR
I use an full size stall mat in the garage. No issues with my recurve but I have had my 76# Vertix go through my bag target and the mat and into the drywall :(

7F533343-DB73-47DD-84B3-15E5B5C887FC.jpeg

I also use them under my rack, don’t mind the helper. I’ve added a few more mats since this pic.

99AC5165-BD0B-4FC5-B3E2-4D48B72283FB.jpeg

BCD

WKR
I've hit the mat with several arrows since I first put it together in the 4x6' format.

Haven't had nocks bounce out.

Arrows come out easy enough. They do need a little coaxing but not bad. You wouldn't want to pin a paper target to the rubber and use it for a primary backstop, that would get old fast, and the rubber would not last too long with constant hits.

Shooting the fatter field points like the 200gr/250 gr, It is easier to unscrew the point before pulling the shaft back out.

Shooting the 35# bow, with a 400-ish grain arrow, the point typically goes through about 2-3" out the back. Even at 40 yards it penetrates almost that much.

Shooting the 50# bow, with a 600gr arrow, it penetrates more like 6" or so out the back.

Here's a before/after of the relative size. I believe the 4x6 mat is around 80 lbs.

hj3idLy.jpg

Uf1M7m9.jpg
Very nice!! Where did you get that frame?

OP
M
Very nice!! Where did you get that frame?
The swingset brackets are from LV Steel Targets. I've had them for many years hanging steel for rifle shooting.

You can find them here, scroll all the way down,

The conduit tubing I picked up at Home Depot.

LostArra

WKR
Those mats work great. A little WD-40 sprayed on the mat & shaft really help removal.
That and some tire dressing wiped on the shafts occasionally. Some arrow shafts seem to be worse for removal than others. It's a real motivation to concentrate and stay off the mat.

I think penetration is less with a mat that can swing freely from the top along with the variable of bow poundage.