DIY Alaskan Moose Questions

fatlander

WKR
Anyone have some recaps from the 2022 season hunt with Renfro?

We’re looking at ‘26 right now. It’s down right difficult to get transporters to take your 10k/head. We have found a few transporters with availability, Renfro’s being one of them but some of the reviews that have been posted the past few years isn’t giving me the warm and fuzzies. Curious to see how 2022 went for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Jeez, when I hunted with Renfro his pilot never weighed us, our gear or the additional gear he was taking for another camp. He overloaded the plane and it took him three tries just to get off the water. Once he did, we must have caught a tail wind and we started sinking, which scared the hell out of us including the pilot, until our speed increased to the point he recovered. After we were dropped off, the same plane and pilot picked up three big guys to bring them back to Bethel and they were not so lucky. They were not able to clear the trees after takeoff and crashed, all on video and on youtube. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt, but Renfro had three (3) crashes that season. Safety was not as important as revenue from what I witnessed.

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR

Looks like y’all had an awesome hunt BMR and saw plenty of action for early in the season. What made you guys pick earlier dates vs. later dates?

Huggybear

FNG
I was looking into Renfro 's before reading this.......... They are booked out till 2027 currently.

Huggybear

FNG
Just spent four days trapped in Renfro hanger. Staff said they were doing 127 drop camps and 27 guided moose hunts this year. Lot larger numbers than discussed above.
How was your hunt? what time of year? Good or bad?

Your assumed Renfro numbers are more than double what I was told this year when I asked that question directly. That included guided and unguided parties.

Just spent four days trapped in Renfro hanger. Staff said they were doing 127 drop camps and 27 guided moose hunts this year. Lot larger numbers than discussed above.

The number I was told that align with twtays were also directly from two staff members. And a third also confirmed while discussing with a friend of mine.

Listen to Larry Barlett's most recent appearance on the Hunt Quietly podcast and ask yourself where these planners are sending these waves of hunters that overwhelmed Kotz and Kodiak to next. I'll give you a couple hints. The hunt is already on Huntin Fool's website. And the outfitter that told someone in this thread two years ago that the unit was maxed out and they will not be purchasing more planes has now bought his second additional Beaver since that conversation (for a total of four). If you've had a poor experience, I'd highly recommend contacting the Alaska Big Game Commerical Services Board to try throttle this all before locals step in with the BOG or the FSB. The hammer will be coming down on western AK next. It's all happening just like the few years leading up to OTZ and ADQ being throttled back.

Just do your research is all I'd say. And talk to people that have had less than ideal experiences with every outfitter/pilot you plan to go with instead of only ones that are affirming what you hope to hear. I'd personally run from anyone that uses a hunt booking firm to fill their books.

michaema2

FNG
Who are some of the transporters that offer spot and stalk type hunts? That is the type I've been looking for, but have struggled to find. Thanks.
There's some really good 2023 DIY moose hunts available with reputable transporters, at reasonable prices. Can't help you with a float hunt, though. All the places we fly into are spot-and-stalk type terrain. Good bulls, though.

michaema2

FNG
Who are some of the transporters that offer spot and stalk type hunts? That is the type I've been looking for, but have struggled to find. Thanks.
There's some really good 2023 DIY moose hunts available with reputable transporters, at reasonable prices. Can't help you with a float hunt, though. All the places we fly into are spot-and-stalk type terrain. Good bulls, though.

Do you have any info on these fly in type hunts? The cheapest one I have found is a self guided float trip.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone have some recaps from the 2022 season hunt with Renfro?...
Regarding a recap from 2022 with Renfro:
2022 ALASKA MOOSE 14-DAY DIY (and a preseason 10-day float)

Also went with them a few months ago:
Moose hunt 2023: A father & son adventure

...and I'm already booked for next year with them. I think that will be eleven years in a row for DIY hunts with Renfro...plus a half-dozen remote fly-in fishing floats. I've been very appreciative and happy with every trip.

Papa Bear also transports in that GMU, and I've heard nothing but positive comments about them.