Ditching a chassis

crich

WKR
Anyone hunted with a chassis and eventually moved back to a traditional stock?

If so what were the reasons why?

All the pros and cons are out there for everyone to read but before I drop the coin, I'm curious what specific things drove guys to switch back.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
yes. easier to carry in hand.
But I'm fickle and bounce back and forth. I didnt GET rid of my chassis. But right now I'm using stocks.

OP
crich

crich

WKR
yes. easier to carry in hand.
But I'm fickle and bounce back and forth. I didnt GET rid of my chassis. But right now I'm using stocks.
I'll end up doing the same thing. Unless I'm dead set on something that just works amazingly, I'm always switching things around to see what I like better.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
KRG bravo off a bench is awesome, too heavy for me to carry around though. I'm thinking I want to try something like a manners or McMillan next.

All the pros and cons are out there for everyone to read but before I drop the coin, I'm curious what specific things drove guys to switch back.
tried the hnt 26 but wasnt for me. I would look at them if you can find used or on sale, but I wouldn't pay full price. the folder la tikka ended up being 39 oz with mag and spacers (13.75ish lop) bc in tikka la the magazine options are limited to the 7 oz metal mdt one. almost 9 oz heavier than the oem stock. Probably better in a 700 clone as there's more options. the buttpad didnt seem like it would handle recoil very well from a magnum either and I was not convinced that the folder would be for me. I thought it would be loud when folding out on a stalk (our deer are the spooky kind where they might bust when a safety clicks if it's still enough) and prefer to have my stock in a sg quick sling attached to my pack. I was worried folded my optic would be more exposed when setting down the bag. I installed but never shot to keep maximum resale value.

the sa tikka hnt26 i had used a flush mdt poly 1 oz 3 rd 6.5 cm mag and that was around 30oz with spacers and mag iirc. so much better weight but still no weight savings over the oem stock, which might have made sense if the ergonomics were better but I didn't really like it any better than a oem tikka stock with a vertical grip and cheek riser. The grip felt good but i hated my thumb on the side, much rather prefer it inline with the bore or similar to krg bravo grip. the fit and finish were good were good on the hnt 26, it does ride a bag a little weird with the butt stock. I did have a range session with that but recently sold it. just not worth it imo and wanted it mint for resale. Strongly suggest trying at a shoot or from somebody at the range before buying.

Krg bravo i really like over the hnt 26. and still have mine. problem is it's just heavier. love the grip and ergonomics. I do have it with a 20oz scope and 20 inch barrel (tikka 223) currently to offset some of the weight, and it's at 9lbs 5 oz scoped so still manageable just a little heavier. Waiting on the rokstock and eventually a rokstock lite but no interest again in a hnt 26 or xlr. perfectly fine with the oem stock and krg bravo for now. even in a magnum the airtech pad makes the recoil manageable.

MayDae

FNG
I always wondered the same thing. With the advent of chassis systems being very tailorable to the individual's purpose. Perhaps a slightly more nostalgic feel?

OP
crich

crich

WKR
I currently have a grayboe phoenix on 3 tikkas which is somewhat similar to the bravo. They're ok but nothing to write home about. They don't seem to take abuse as well as anything polymer. Light-ish given ergonomics and features. I'll probably grab a chassis to lower the overall profile going through alders and see if I can get used to it. I've carried my buddies cross for a bit and liked carrying it when folded but it took some getting used to not being able to wrap my thumb around up near the back of the bolt like I normally do.... just different is all.

I have not seen any need for a chassis. Maybe I'm turning into an old grump, but the inner bow hunter in me likes getting close, and I have made plenty of shots at 300-400 yards with my old walnut stocked 06.

I started out using a KRG X-Ray, then went to Manners stocks (EH1, EH1A, and EHF1A) for awhile mainly just because I liked how they look. Very briefly tried an MPA (found out I hate AR grips). Then I got an Accuracy International AT for no reason until I decided I just hate pistol grips in general. Sent that down the road and got another Manners EH1 for awhile. Then finally sold that and bought a couple KRG chassis for my remaining rifles (I sold most of the others).

I'm in the process of selling a barreled action soon and will end up selling the KRG Whiskey-3 that it was in. That's mainly because the new barreled action I have coming in is a LP Fuzion. Turns out I chose one of the only actions that's not round-bottomed and I don't want to bother bedding a chassis for it. So I have a Foundation Centurion being made for that new LP barreled action. My R700 based custom still has a KRG Bravo and my Vudoo is still in a KRG X-Ray with an enclosed forend though.

One huge thing that chassis give me is flat-ish places I can put full length ARCA rails. My shooting is heavily ARCA dependent between both my tripod and bipod. Chassis systems also have more inherent adjustability in them which is nice. Stocks like Foundation, Manners, McMillan, etc definitely will feel better to the touch but if that doesn't also come with the necessary adjustability for shooting comfort it means nothing.

Last edited:

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I used a chassis rifle last season, XLR pro envy chassis. Loved the feel and the way the rifle shot. But it was heavy in the field. Carried it all over the mountains. Rifle weighed around 12 lbs fully loaded.

I bought a howa mini to try out this year. I’ll get a weight on it when it’s all assembled and ready. I’ll miss the vertical grip and the adjustable stock features. But I have an AR to hunt with too so I won’t be totally left out on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxLite

WKR
The two I have are both factory chassis so I haven’t messed with any of the expensive ones. I like them fine for a bench rifle, but admittedly even at the bench I prefer a well bedded stock. For field use I find mine to be heavy, colder, awkward to carry, and have more areas for snagging on things. I haven’t tried a bravo or similar but those would address some of the issues I have with chassis.

I like the benefits of the chassis but it just isn’t for me

OP
crich

crich

WKR
I think for most people it sounds like a solution looking for a problem. Others it's exactly what they need/want.

theduke11

FNG
The MDT HNT26 is the only chassis I’ve used that I enjoy hunting with. I have a few others but mostly prefer the feel of traditional stocks for a hunting gun

Personally, unless it has a pistol style grip I will never use a "traditional" style stock. I love chassis stocks. I love the adjustability, the accessories (ARCA rail), etc. Weight for most is an issue that is why they don't lend themselves to hunting on foot. But there are a few lightweight options out there. Mentioned already is the HNT26, but another almost as light option is a MDT LSS with a carbine stock.

I had 2 KRG Bravos and sold both of them. The Tikka UPR stock to me is a great blend of hunting stock ergos with a nice vertical grip, cheek riser and relatively lightweight.

I also went back to the CTR stock on my 308. People like to bag on the Tikka stocks but I like them.

ohioguy47

FNG

I feel like looks, tradition, and sometimes weight are the only real reasons

I feel like looks, tradition, and sometimes weight are the only real reasons

And not cold metal to hold onto, doesn’t feel like a tuning fork when shot, flush mags, nicer to hand hold, and preferred ergos vs AR style grip (to some).

I want to take my gamer gun out of a chassis even but can’t justify the $ for a foundation.

I really like the XLr chassis. And I really like the folding stock. Thats a game changer for me. Nice for folding up in a pack or in the truck.

I want to take my gamer gun out of a chassis even but can’t justify the $ for a foundation.
I convinced myself to order a Foundation because I'm getting a LP Fuzion and the fact that it's not round on the bottom makes me a bit nervous about contact with a chassis without bedding. So I'll know in a few months whether I made the right call. All I can say is I've never had more pleasant phone calls and customer service in the gun industry, and I've bought a lot of stuff.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I still have one chassis in use. I've used several others, but in each case went back to a stock. Main reasons for me "ditching a chassis" are:

1. Bolt manipulation - for second shots, it's not as smooth/quick for me to work the bolt from a thumb wrapped pistol grip as it is from a standard grip with my thumb on top of the stock/inline with the bolt. This is the main reason for me.

2. Weight - I like light weight on most hunting rifles. Most chassis are going to end up heavier, thought the HNT26 is light enough to work.

3. Carry in hand. Most standard hunting stocks fit better for in hand for carry. Non-metal generally feels better to me as well.

The things I like about chassis' are:

1. Adjustable - mainly LOP (w/buffer tube). It makes it nice while hunting with kids or on any bolt gun that will be used by different people.

2. Configurable - the one I still have in use (MTD LSS) wears a wicked light and left side flush cups for 2 point or slung carry, just move to the near/far forend cup as needed. It's purpose has been/is for coyotes on our farm, mainly at night. In most aspects, an AR would be a better fit, but I prefer to use a bolt with my kids being able to use it as needed. Yes, they could use an AR but I'd prefer they use a bolt gun right now.

3. Drop in fit - it's nice to be able to drop in any barreled action that a chassis is made for and go shoot. I've never bedded one and haven't seen a need to so far. If you're always trying something new, a chassis for your most used action/size can get a lot of use.