Discounted Leica Geovid R vs discounted Maven B1.2- optical quality?

MT_Fin

WKR
II’ve been looking at upgrading bino’s and have been close to pulling the trigger on Maven B1.2’s that I can get for an attractive price thanks to GovX. But I also see Geovid R’s on sale for $1199 right now and like the idea of all in one unit and understand the Leica doesn’t have ballistics.

However, I use bino’s a lot as I have crappy eyes. Is the optical quality in the Leica lacking at that price range compared to non-RF bino’s at that price range? Are the Geovid R worth getting at the sale price in 2024?

Best glass I have had/used to date are Nikon MHG.

I appreciate any input!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
II’ve been looking at upgrading bino’s and have been close to pulling the trigger on Maven B1.2’s that I can get for an attractive price thanks to GovX. But I also see Geovid R’s on sale for $1199 right now and like the idea of all in one unit and understand the Leica doesn’t have ballistics.

However, I use bino’s a lot as I have crappy eyes. Is the optical quality in the Leica lacking at that price range compared to non-RF bino’s at that price range? Are the Geovid R worth getting at the sale price in 2024?

Best glass I have had/used to date are Nikon MHG.

I appreciate any input!

The Leica Geovid R’s have very good glass and very good RF capability. If one doesn’t require ballistics, the Geovid R’s are overall probably the best option on the market.

slowelk

WKR
I went from Swarovski ELs to Geovid R's. I'm no glass snob, but I didn't feel like there was a discernible difference between the two. Having on-board range-finding is a significant process improvement for rifle hunting.

SDHNTR

WKR
Leica wins that contest all day every day! A major global optics manufacturer who has been around for decades versus a small mom and pop shop who struggles considerably with inventory control. Not a hard decision.

OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

WKR
The Leica Geovid R’s have very good glass and very good RF capability. If one doesn’t require ballistics, the Geovid R’s are overall probably the best option on the market.
Awesome. Thank you for the input as usual!

SG said they should have more “regular size” grey sentinel bino packs in stock next week finally so will be picking that up too and ditching my FHF FOB. Would be nice to not have a RF pouch on it.
I went from Swarovski ELs to Geovid R's. I'm no glass snob, but I didn't feel like there was a discernible difference between the two. Having on-board range-finding is a significant process improvement for rifle hunting.
Great, thanks!

OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

WKR
Leica wins that contest all day every day! A major global optics manufacturer who has been around for decades versus a small mom and pop shop who struggles considerably with inventory control. Not a hard decision.
Makes sense, thanks!

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
SG said they should have more “regular size” grey sentinel bino packs in stock next week finally so will be picking that up too and ditching my FHF FOB.

When I asked Stone Glacier what size of Sentinal to get for my Geovid R's they said Large. It's been working really well for me. Not sure how regular would compare.

Since then I have added a Wiser Precision BA-7 Sparrow arca rail, which is very low profile and fits in the large size without snagging. 20240821_091902.jpg20240821_091654.jpg

OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

WKR
When I asked Stone Glacier what size of Sentinal to get for my Geovid R's they said Large. It's been working really well for me. Not sure how regular would compare.

Since then I have added a Wiser Precision BA-7 Sparrow arca rail, which is very low profile and fits in the large size without snagging. View attachment 760505View attachment 760506
Awesome. Thanks for the info on both things! I just went by the measurement section, but in hindsight being just below max height in the regular may be limiting. I’ll check out that sparrow too!

I assume you like your binos then?

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. Thanks for the info on both things! I just went by the measurement section, but in hindsight being just below max height in the regular may be limiting. I’ll check out that sparrow too!

I assume you like your binos then?
Yes, absolutely! I've been impressed with the quality and clarity. I've ranged out past 2000 yards consistently, and everything in between. The EHR angle correction displays quickly, a feature that my old standalone rangefinder didn't have at all. RF binos enable an improved process for finding and ranging animals. No more switching back and forth between tools.

OP
MT_Fin

MT_Fin

WKR
Yes, absolutely! I've been impressed with the quality and clarity. I've ranged out past 2000 yards consistently, and everything in between. The EHR angle correction displays quickly, a feature that my old standalone rangefinder didn't have at all. RF binos enable an improved process for finding and ranging animals. No more switching back and forth between tools.

There's one in the classifieds, no affiliation, but I did comment on @SouthPaw's post because I've become such a fan of those Leica's: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/leica-geovid-r-10x42-outdoorsmans-bino-hand.373170/#post-3791533
Thanks! I would purchase new as I have several hundred in GCs to Scheels to use up.