Deschutes Sheep Hunt

I drew a non resident ewe sheep tag for the deschutes river canyon area. The season dates are 9/23 to 10/18. I can hunt either side of the river from the mouth to the Sherar bridge. I’ll be hunting with my bow and was looking for anny advice on this unit. I was thinking about renting raft to float the river and make the trip a fishing/hunting trip. A better option would be to rent jet boat which would me a lot more flexibility for hunting. Here’s a list of a few questions.

1. Sheep numbers
2. Boat rental companies
3. Can you hunt from the road.
4 Any good land owners offer trespass fees
5. Best 7 days to hunt
6. Hows the fishing during my dates
8. What class of rapids would be the area of my float
7. etc

IDVortex

WKR
If you're disabled and with the correct license you can hunt from the road... otherwise, I think most states have laws agasint road hunting.

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t know specific numbers, but I see sheep every time I float it, more in some spots to others. Great time to fish steelhead. Some class 3’s and maybe a 3 + in the Mack’s to mouth stretch. Fairly straightforward rapids with some skill on the oars and a good guidebook. Have fun!

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't been there in years, but I remember the lower river used to have certain days you were allowed to run a jet boat. I'd look into that and see if it is still the same. I have hiked in many times from the mouth for steelhead fishing. It only took once hiking in and then having a guide boat full of clients pull into the spot, I was walking down to, for me to learn not to go on jet boat days.

OP
Huntforever
If you're disabled and with the correct license you can hunt from the road... otherwise, I think most states have laws agasint road hunting.
I didn’t mean literally hunting on the road. lol. I meant off the road system that runs part of the river.

OP
Huntforever

I have floated that before in a raft with someone else, Would not dream of running it in a jetboat unless I had made trips with someone who knows the river prior.
What part of the river did you float? The river runs for over 50 miles

OP
Huntforever
Don’t know specific numbers, but I see sheep every time I float it, more in some spots to others. Great time to fish steelhead. Some class 3’s and maybe a 3 + in the Mack’s to mouth stretch. Fairly straightforward rapids with some skill on the oars and a good guidebook. Have fun!
I can’t find Mack’s area ?

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
The road ends at Mack’s canyon, north of Maupin 20ish miles. From there it’s boat access only to the mouth at the Columbia. There are still scheduled non motorized days.

Great steelhead fishing during that timeframe.

I’d be very surprised if anyone rents jet boats, that section has some legit rapids. Floating in a raft if you have experience is totally doable and there are companies in Maupin that rent boats and run shuttles

Tmac

WKR

Some of the info on this thread applies to your hunt. ODFW will have good info too. I’d be very careful rafting the Deschutes. Some stretches have technical water, do your homework. Plenty of sheep.

WRO

WKR
The road ends at Mack’s canyon, north of Maupin 20ish miles. From there it’s boat access only to the mouth at the Columbia. There are still scheduled non motorized days.

Great steelhead fishing during that timeframe.

I’d be very surprised if anyone rents jet boats, that section has some legit rapids. Floating in a raft if you have experience is totally doable and there are companies in Maupin that rent boats and run shuttles

There are some fishing guides that could transport you that have liscenses, the deschutes is permit only for commercial operatiors like the john day. Jeremy Toman for Forrest Foxworthy both have permits and would be worth a call. I would not run a jet boat on that river without experience.

Calling the Bowrack and asking for Wayne would be good as well, he drew the hunt a couple years back and has been on a few of them.

OP
Huntforever

Some of the info on this thread applies to your hunt. ODFW will have good info too. I’d be very careful rafting the Deschutes. Some stretches have technical water, do your homework. Plenty of sheep.
I have a lot of motorized boat experience but no real rafting to speak of. I was hoping the rapids were not severe.

OP
Huntforever
There are some fishing guides that could transport you that have liscenses, the deschutes is permit only for commercial operatiors like the john day. Jeremy Toman for Forrest Foxworthy both have permits and would be worth a call. I would not run a jet boat on that river without experience.

Calling the Bowrack and asking for Wayne would be good as well, he drew the hunt a couple years back and has been on a few of them.
That’s very helpful!!!

MCS

Lil-Rokslider
You can find and harvest sheep without floating the river. I'd still have a raft to cross the river if a good ram was on the other side. The float down through macks canyon is a great trip if you do decide to float the river. Call the biologist before you decide to float the river. There is also some access from the top through some ranches in the area.
I've rented rafts from deschutes U boat before and they were good to work with.

OP
Huntforever
Renting a raft has closed my mind but I have very experienced rafting.

So there’s landowners that do trespass fees for the Deschutes?

Tmac

WKR
I have a lot of motorized boat experience but no real rafting to speak of. I was hoping the rapids were not severe.
There are bad ones in places. The guide book suggestion mentioned earlier is a good one. You may be able to select a mild run with sheep. Running a jet boat there also has risks behind rapids, there are some bad bedrock spots that can end your day, in a few places. Don't mean to make it sound impossible, it’s not, just plan well and you’ll be fine.