Dehydrated meal construction

OneGunTex

FNG
I've seen 2 methods of constructing DIY dehydrated meals:
1) Cook the whole meal together, then dehydrate & package
2) Cook/dehydrate the ingredients separately, then package together

Does one turn out better than the other? Are there some meals that you would do (1) and some that you would do (2)?

BBob

WKR
I've done and do both. I don't care. Lots of my meals are adding dehydrated meat and other components to noodles so those would never get dehydrated together. The only things I generally do as a whole are leftovers from a regular home meal. You could easily just make something you normally like and portion it out. If and when I've done that I've measured by volume the portion size and how many portions there are before dehydrating so I can portion it out into the same number of portions after dehydrating. That's how I portion most everything anyway. I've kept notes on dehydrated components before and after so when I do a batch of something I've done before I can just dehydrate and portion according to my notes.

KBC

WKR
I've only done #2 so far. I think I'm going to try just doing #1 with leftovers since I'm starting to get sick of the stuff I've done so far. I should do a batch of brisket chilli soon...

jaydoc24

FNG
Both methods have their pros and cons, Use the first method for blended dishes and the second for meals with distinct textures.

jaydoc24

FNG
Can you detail some personal experiences with either technique?
Sure, I can share some personal experiences with both methods:

Method 1: Cook the Whole Meal Together, Then Dehydrate & Package​

Pros:

• Flavor Blending: Ingredients meld together nicely.
  • Easy to Rehydrate: Everything rehydrates at the same rate.
Cons:

• Uniform Texture: Everything can feel the same, which might not be as appealing.
  • Longer Dehydration: Takes longer to dry out.
Example:I made a chicken stew this way. It tasted great because the flavors blended well, but the texture was uniform – everything was soft.

Method 2: Cook/Dehydrate Ingredients Separately, Then Package Together​

Pros:

• Texture Control: Each ingredient keeps its own texture.
  • Flexibility: You can mix and match ingredients later.
Cons:

• More Work: Requires cooking and dehydrating each ingredient separately.
  • Rehydration Timing: Different ingredients rehydrate at different speeds.
Example:I made a beef stir-fry with this method. The beef, peppers, and onions kept their own textures, so the meal was more interesting and tasty when rehydrated.

When to Use Each Method​

• Blended Dishes: Use Method 1 for soups, stews, and casseroles where you want a mix of flavors.
  • Distinct Textures: Use Method 2 for stir-fries, pasta, and meals with a variety of components to keep different textures.
Both methods have their benefits, so choose based on the meal and your preferences.

Hope this helps!

OP
OneGunTex

OneGunTex

FNG
I decided to try both.
Made up a huge pot of jambalaya and dehydrated some of that in batch. A little bit worried about the fat in the sausage, but dang it was delicious fresh.
Also made a couple of meat/veggie/rice/ramen recipes I found on here, via method #2.

I've got a trip coming up soon where I'll get to try both meals, as well as 4 different brands of freeze dried meals and some MREs for good measure. I think I'll do a writeup on here when I get back, a little bit of compare/contrast.

87TT

WKR
If your meal has fat in it, keep pt frozen until just before you leave and don't store it too long before eating. Fat does not dehydrate and can go rancid. Goes for butter etc.