Deer movement hoopla...

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I was listening to a podcast the other day with the MSU Deer Lab talking about deer movement from a study they had with several collared deer. If I recall, the main part of the study was on bedding areas, as well as sights. But there was also some talk about what measurable things get deer on their feet in daylight, such as the moon, barometric pressure, temp, etc. I think the general gist of it was there was no real correlation they could see in collared deer...We've all heard different things that will get them up...So what do you say? Do you trust their research or think it's wrong?

The only thing I know for a fact that gets them moving during daylight hours where I hunt is me being at home...

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like they put out some good info but I don't think i've ever put any of it as being the gospel. A few almost guarantees I've found are:
If I see a bunch of deer on the drive in, before daylight, I usually don't see a deer until 9:30 or 10:00
The first North wind/cold snap is the day a big deer will daylight
They will be feeding in the evening of the first high pressure day after a strong cold front
For the most part, deer will move every 5 to 6 hours whether daylight or dark
Full moons doesn't mean stay at home

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing I know for a fact is, every day they have to eat and move...Other than that it's a toss up.
I think typically weather that can hinder their senses will keep movement minimal, and theoretically after that they should have to feed more to make up for lost time...According to all the alleged truths, this evening should not be good, but here I go loading up.

KyleR1985

WKR
Their study doesn’t have the granularity required to see whether deer moved into specific areas where they’d be more likely to be seen, at times hunters would be looking.

If it did, it would almost certainly track the single metric that really matters - relative temperature change(getting colder).

Leaving aside places where it’s below 0* for much of the season, and taking the majority of the rest of the US, weather turning colder results in more hunter sightings. This was observed with a huge data set by Doctor Sheppard. Even when controlling for hunter efforts. It’s all that matters.

Currently, their findings don’t contradict the temperature connection. They just can’t support it. The study to do so would cost money. They seemed to hit a note with the drury guys (I think) in a podcast. That may result in this study getting done.

Upshot - nothing matters in their study. But it can’t tease out a relative temperature change to deer sighting connection. It does solve for many of the other nonsense that most people subscribe to though. This is also backed up by Dr. Sheppards work.

Hunt when you can. Especially if it is getting colder mid week!

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Bobby Worthington has some really good stuff to say as well, if you feel like going deeper down the rabbit hole.