Deer/Elk Breakfast Sausage

dlee56

WKR
Does anyone have good recipes for deer/elk breakfast sausage? I'm a rookie sausage maker but I'm hoping I can stop buying the pork breakfast sausages from the store and make some with some of my leftover meat from last year.

Hi Country out of Lincoln Montana makes some FANTASTIC mixes for jerky, sausage, etc!

Italian Breakfast sausage is great!

Country blend is OH MY good!

In making deer, elk, antelope sausage, I like to use cheap fatty pork shoulder roasts as my fat mix with the wild game. After I grind the meat twice I then mix in the sausage mix in a two gallon (clean - meat only) plastic bucket or tub by hand and mix it really well, then I run it through the grinder one more time after I've mixed it by hand. I then cover the meat and let it sit in the fridge for about 12-24 hours before I package it up into roughly pound packages.

Not technically sausage but I absolutely love venison, elk, and wild hog Chorizo. I use the Reo seasonings and cut it with commercial pork fat trim about 20% depending on how fatty the animal is to give it a good chorizo grease.

c670809

FNG
I've never tried this with anything but pork. Here is my go-to for pork breakfast sausage. I've made a lot of versions on the net and ended up modifying several to come up with this.

1 lb pork
1 ts salt (if kosher use 2 ts)
½ ts cayenne pepper
½ ts black pepper
½ ts sage
¼ ts thyme
1/8 ts rosemary (ground)
¼ ts coriander
½ ts marjoram
Optional but it makes a difference: ¼ ts MSG

Jethro

WKR
Here is one I got from a guy on Bowsite a few years ago. My family really likes it. I only add 1/2 the salt it calls for.

8 lbs game meat

2 lbs pork fat

5 tbsp kosher salt

1 tbsp white pepper

2 tbsp sage

1 tbsp garlic

1 tsp ginger

1 tbsp mace

1 tbsp ground thyme

1 tbsp paprika

Grind the meat and fat on course grind, then mix up the spices in a 2 cups of ice water and add to the meat. Mix well with your hands or meat mixer, then run through the course grind a second time.

WKR
Sausage Season by Eileen Clarke has been really helpful for us. She deep dives into the entire wild game sausage making process and has a lot of very good recipes in it.

OneGunTex

FNG
lets-make-sausage.com is a great resource, with both venison-specific recipes and lots of others that can be adapted for venison. (IMHO venison can mimic both a pork sausage, with pork fat added, or a beef/lamb sausage with beef fat added)

The key ingredient in making "breakfast sausage" taste like "breakfast sausage" is Sage.

Here's his recipe, a good one and simple:

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR

Thats the best one I have found. We make 50-60 lbs every year. I do 10-15% fat, by weight, cause I like sausage leaner.