OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
My preferences ( in order ):

1 RAMCAT ( check regs )
2. Slick Trick
3. Trocar

I don't think the ram cat is legal in Oregon. Not sure if it would be classified as mechanical or not, plus it appears to be barbed as well. Very interesting looking design for sure!

OR Archer

WKR
I don't think the ram cat is legal in Oregon. Not sure if it would be classified as mechanical or not, plus it appears to be barbed as well. Very interesting looking design for sure!

Ramcat would be illegal in Oregon.

JMitchell

FNG
Hot melt. Just have to be gentle with the heat when you take them out. Been using hot melt forever on carbon and a/c arrows. On all carbon try to heat the insert more so than putting heat directly on the shaft.

Thank you Darin, I have used the Bohning low temp on my target arrows w/ mixed results,lost a few inserts in targets. Have you or anyone else used 2 D6 inserts to increase FOC? I was going to try that, but after seeing how you do it, I think that's way to go. I use the Exodus in my Injexions and like it a lot, but would like to get more weight up front.

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
Look pretty dang effective, unfortunately they're illegal in Idaho and some other states because they are considered "barbed".

QAD is a Virginia based company and the swept model is legal here in VA. However, they make a full blade model and it is legal in places like Oregon since it creates a 90* angle from the base of the blade tip to the ferule.

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
I'll post the actual wording later. Basically the blades need to be fixed and the back of the blade needs to 90* or greater in relation to the ferrule. Minimum of 7/8" cutting diameter also.

Illegal in Oregon as well.

The full version is not. I'm unsure about Idaho because the broadhead must proceed the shaft. Not sure of it breaks that law or not.

Oregon regs:

Broadhead blades must be fixed, unbarbed, and at least 7/8” wide (except for western gray squirrel). It is illegal to hunt with or possess mechanical or moveable blade broadheads when hunting game mammals except Western gray squirrel.

OR Archer

WKR
I was unaware there was a full blade version of the Ramcat. I've have only ever seen the original version.

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
Hey you VA and OR guys,

I'm curious as to the way your Broadhead regs are written.

Is anyone willing to post them?

I edited my previous post even though I sent an email to VA Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries. The following is all I could find.

- must be no less than 7/8" or expand to greater than 7/8"
- Illegal to use exploding heads or any head with chemicals or toxins.

If the VADGIF comes back and says they are GTG I would love to use the Ramcats. I was under the impression they are illegal here.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
Thank you Darin, I have used the Bohning low temp on my target arrows w/ mixed results,lost a few inserts in targets. Have you or anyone else used 2 D6 inserts to increase FOC? I was going to try that, but after seeing how you do it, I think that's way to go. I use the Exodus in my Injexions and like it a lot, but would like to get more weight up front.

I have put two inserts into my injexions I'm testing. I'll keep you posted once I start shooting broadheads and long range. So far it seems to work fine. Wish they made a brass insert.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I haven't with deep 6, but I did that with FMJ's before the brass inserts were available. Worked fine. Biggest issue I've had with any of the hidden inserts is mushrooming the front of the shaft. So far the penetrator 2 has eliminated that problem - or at least traded it for a much cheaper issue of periodically bent inserts -Especially shooting carpet bales.

JMitchell

FNG
Darin and Lintond thanks. I think I'm going to give the penetrator 2s a try. I have followed your advice since you wrote for Eastman's and it has always worked for me. You are like the E.F. Hutton of archery, when talk, I listen! Would like to see you write a book.

jmez

WKR
The Yellow Penetrator II's don't work with the FMJ injexions. I got some today and the insert is bigger than the shaft where they meet. Would make them really hard to pull out of a target as there is a good amount of overhang all the way around. I'm going to buy a caliper tomorrow and measure them so can see if I need the orange or green.

Never mind. The yellow is the correct size. I just realized tonight that the Penetrator II has a collar so functions as a true outsert whereas the original penetrator sat flush with the end of the shaft.

I have a feeling these are going to be really hard on targets.

Last edited:

huntography

Lil-Rokslider

Right on!

anate2u6.jpg

125 gr Helix from 52 yards.

Rudy