dedicated Bipod or Trekking poles and bipod adapter??

I like the 2 in one option of Wiser Precision Quick Stix trekking pole shooting sticks, and made better with their Quick-Clip mount that secures the gun to the poles. But I also like the steadiness of the Spartan Javelin bipod.

do you guys like one over the other? Do you carry dedicated trekking poles and a shooting platform? Or do you try to combine the 2?

Thanks!

Luked

WKR
I haven't used the Wiser Quick sticks but they are on my short list to get this year before rifle season to try out.
I have a few rifles that have normal style bipods that stay on them Mainly my Predator guns where I'm mostly sitting and calling.
For something like a hunt where I might need to get down fairly quick for a shot I can see the Quick Stix working pretty well. If the trekkers are already in use like going up or down a mountain.

If I am ground blind hunting here for deer I have a small set of shooting sticks I carry all the time with me.
Guess it boils down i think they all have their place but none better than the other, or worse.

180ls1

WKR
I carry both. Although there could be some overlap neither is a replacement for the other and they both have unique significant upsides.

TXAggie11

FNG
Ive been running the wiser quick sticks on the trekking poles and they are great once you get them dialed in. Takes a little practice to figure out how you need to adjust the poles to accommodate different shooting positions in the field but they hold steady when locked in.

I have the Spartan Pro Hunt. I love it. I put a receiver mount on all of my rifles so that I can use it on all of them.
The twist legs stay in place for me just fine. It takes some getting used to where to set the height based on the terrain you're on and the angle of shot. But once you get used to it the Spartan is great. I keep it in my pack while hiking in, and once I get to a spot to survey an area I put it on there. Then put it back in my pack when it's time to go. I like how easy it is to attach and detach. But again, practice with it a lot to get used to the different heights and angles.
But to be clear none of my rifles are overly heavy. They run from 6lbs to 9lbs in weight. Perhaps a heavy 12lb gun may put more pressure on those legs? But my experience has been great so far.

I use quick stix for any seated position and always have harris 9-13 bipod on the gun. I've played with spartan or other lightweight bipods and have a hard time swaying away with how affordable and rugged the Harris is. The area I hunt in has a lot of prone shooting opportunities.

huntnful

WKR
I’m still a bipod guy personally. But I did switch to a bipod that I could use from a seated position after encountering a few difficult scenarios with a prone only bipod. And that has been pretty beneficial.

I use a trekking a pole to support my tent as well, so I rarely have both trekking poles with me.

gtriple

WKR
I've run the Spartan Pro Tac, the Spartan Ascent, and the Wiser QuickStix with the Arca QuickClip. I'll say that they all have their pros and cons. The Wiser is great for shorter, faster shots. If I'm hunting somewhere that doesn't allow prone or has shorter shots, it is my go to. I don't think the Wiser is as stable as a solid bipod.

It also depends on what shelter I'm using. If I run my SO Cimarron, I use the Ascent because the legs become my center pole. They also triple as my trekking poles.

For a bivy/tarp elk hunt in September running MZ, I love the QuickStix. Being able to attach them to the front of my muzzie makes for fast shots.

In the past, I have used a dedicated bipod (Javelin Pro or Harris)/rear bag and a tripod w/ Arca, the logic was to cover the widest range of shooting heights only. I don’t think there is anything wrong with having one.

I ditched the bipod this year, shifting my shooting towards decreasing the overall setup time while still covering all potential heights.

Ditching the bipod doesn’t necessarily make setup faster, but a bipod (for me) only covered 1 out of 20 (5%) of the shots I took or had the opportunity to take in the last two years on an animal, and is one of the few items, albeit with negligent weight, that is a single use item.

I take more sitting or kneeling shots than anything, usually to get above grass, foliage, or snow, and most of the time, from ranging an animal to breaking a shot, is about 40 seconds on the low end when animals are moving to or from cover and maybe 8 minutes on the high end for longer shots on a stalk.

I think the quick stick setup is value added and offers a good platform if you use trekking poles, especially for shots when setting up a tripod isn’t a viable option.

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
In the past, I have used a dedicated bipod (Javelin Pro or Harris)/rear bag and a tripod w/ Arca, the logic was to cover the widest range of shooting heights only. I don’t think there is anything wrong with having one.

I ditched the bipod this year, shifting my shooting towards decreasing the overall setup time while still covering all potential heights.

Ditching the bipod doesn’t necessarily make setup faster, but a bipod (for me) only covered 1 out of 20 (5%) of the shots I took or had the opportunity to take in the last two years on an animal, and is one of the few items, albeit with negligent weight, that is a single use item.

I take more sitting or kneeling shots than anything, usually to get above grass, foliage, or snow, and most of the time, from ranging an animal to breaking a shot, is about 40 seconds on the low end when animals are moving to or from cover and maybe 8 minutes on the high end for longer shots on a stalk.

I think the quick stick setup is value added and offers a good platform if you use trekking poles, especially for shots when setting up a tripod isn’t a viable options.
Great perspective here! I went 30 big game animals straight from a prone position and thought a prone height bipod covered all bases no problem. Then last year I had to kill 80% 4/5 of my animals from the seated position and my perspective certainly change on the necessity to be prepared for a wide variety of opportunities.