Decoys

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
Who has actually used a bow mounted decoy to sneak into bow range for antelope (possibly mule deer too)? Definitely interested in hearing some stories.

BWise5707

FNG
Who has actually used a bow mounted decoy to sneak into bow range for antelope (possibly mule deer too)? Definitely interested in hearing some stories.
During the rut, I have witnessed them working extremely well for antelope. Cant speak on mule deer.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I have the ultimate predator decoy and it seems to work really well. Still have to be smart when it’s deployed but I kept an antelope about 70 yards out without him taking off on me. Couldn’t close the gap but he didn’t jet out.
If it’s windy conditions it’s more difficult due to the decoy being a sail but still manageable and better than nothing.
This was also pre rut. I have heard a white shirt will work during the rut but haven’t tried it yet.

Last edited:

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot three (1 buck, 2 does) spot and stalk. I only use them to cover me while moving over make it look like it is going over a hill where I hide to bait them in. Had success like this. FYI this is rolling hill country.

In years past I always used the Montana decoy. Never like how flimsy it was in the wind, for what a pain it was to stake it down when I was in a hurry. I started using a plastic one (can't remember the brand), but it's heavy and somewhat loud to set up. Last year I switched to the Ultimate Predator bow mounted deke. My first time out, I was trailing a buck, when I saw one in the distance chasing/rutting hard. He started to run my direction so I dropped down and put my bow out in front of me. That buck ran right upon the hill to me, charging hard, and the circled me at 30 yds. It was a dead calm/quiet night and he lunged at the shot, which resulted in me not getting him, however I am very sold on the Ultimate Predator bow mounted deke. Just need to practice with it to make sure your bow is hitting the same POI.

WCB

WKR
Tried them a couple times...better hope it isn't windy. I use the MAD CommAndelope (probably the decoy Justin Byers mentioned) I just carry it on the frame of my SG pack. I did rework the stake a little but I like it WAY better than bow mounted or the fold up cloth ones.

HoytHntr4

WKR
0342C50A-2E69-47D4-A53F-87B2C85680BF.jpeg
I had it work on this buck I killed in Montana in early September. He didn’t charge into it like some have had during the rut. I stalked and cut him off as he came around a knob. He caught my movement drawing at about 30 yards, he bounded out to about 50 and stood there looking back at me exactly like a mule deer usually does when it’s been bumped. I’ve also used that decoy to clear openings that I’m in sight of a goat while on a stalk and it didn’t spook him