Dealling with Mule Deer Velvet

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Take note WV....I am gonna make you do it:)

It's actually pretty interesting. Since I've never hunted a velvet horned animal I've never taken the time to read about what all is required. I'll be sure to stand over you and watch with intense focus ;)

Really, though, it looks simply enough and I'm sure we can handle it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
JG358....timely manner is within 24 hours in my mind. Generally if deer still have their velvet it is still pretty warm in the high country. The sooner to freezer the better.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've put the cape and antlers in a big hefty bag, put ice in it, covered with blankets till I get to taxi. As long as you can keep them cold, you have a few days.

Hope you get one! Would love to see it if you do!

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
The amount of time you have depends on the heat, and how far along the growth is. If it's in the 90's and the tips are still really spongy: You might have 24hrs to get them treated. If it's cooler and/or the tips are completely hard or just about so you have way more time to get them treated/frozen.

I've never used the 4 in 1 but I wouldn't doubt it works. Just make sure you inject it until you push all the blood out. Keep the antlers out of direct sunlight and keep them dry with the exception of the 4 in 1. Try your best not to let them sit in water no matter how cool/cold it is.

Best of luck on the hunt.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One more note to add to this info... Cape your animal in the field and get the cape on ice.

Then you can actually milk most of the blood out of the veins toward the bases. You'll see the blood drain out of the base of the antlers. This is much more effective with the cape off so the blood can escape. Be careful if it's later in the year as the velvet becomes more delicate. In August you should have no worries though. I like to milk the horns dry, then inject them (alcohol works in a pinch by the way...), milk them, inject again and allow it to fully evaporate out on its own. And pay special attention to the rubbery tips. Inject these areas thoroughly. I prefer not to cut the tips because it creates an opening that can shrink and expose the hard antler tips when the horns dry. I like to keep the velvet as intact as possible.

Freeze drying produces great results for velvet preservation, but probably isn't necessary if you do them this way.

Coop