DCF fabrics.....everything you want to know

Beendare

WKR
There is a fantastic podcast over on Backpacking Light on the DCF fabrics....for the Ultra light shelter guys.

They have an engineer from DSM Dyneema [the outfit that bought out Cuben] discussing fabric makeup [many versions] and the many variables....very informative in depth discussion on all applications and how DCF affects the different designs. BTW, durability is improved.

Then they talk with builders [owner of Gossamer gear] that have extensive experience with these fabrics

Changing my opinion on these....

Here;
Podcast 002 | Dyneema Composite Fabrics - Backpacking Light

Thanks for posting this Beendare. I've been a member of BPL for quite a few years now but until just now, I'd never listened to a podcast. I've been a big advocate/fan of DCF fabrics and own several DCF shelters, so for me, this was a nice way to enter the whole podcast realm.

Yeah,
i have to say...there was a lot i din't realize. you have been a bit of a proponent on these fabrics....now i understand the "Why"

I like that its not the anecdotal stuff we see on the forums...but legit info.

BPL is a subscription site....$7.... I think....I can't remember what I pay. If you aren't a subscriber you might be able to go on the Apple iTunes site or another spot and download the podcast without subscribing.

I thought it was kind of funny on the podcast what one of the guy's that was being interviewed (can't remember who it was), said regarding the high cost of DCF. He thought that DCF really wasn't worth the high price but also stated something to the effect of "If you make $400K a year, what the hell, go for it." It is definitely more costly but I really don't think a person has to be knocking down $400K/year to be able to afford it. I kind of base my purchases on how much I enjoy/do the particular activity. If the activity is something that I really enjoy and takes up a significant part of my life, I'm going to buy whatever I think I need/want to be able to help me enjoy that activity to its fullest. I tend to fall into the mindset of, buy once/cry once, and figure that I'll more than likely get my $$ worth out of it eventually anyway.

Yeah, the two guys doing the podcast ramble a bit....

Interesting as to the 'why' they don't weave that fabric....as the weave [kinks] take away from the inherit tensile strength of the fabric.

Crazy that its still laid in there by hand in this day and age....no wonder the stuff is so expensive.

I'm seriously thinking about using DCF on a smaller shelter project if I can find the stuff without the Mylar outer.

But my luck a year later the price will drop by 75% when the automate the process....its going to have to happen eventually.
______

A bit of a vindication for you AK in this podcast....you are ahead of the curve on this stuff!

Absolutely Love my Hyperlight Mountaingear Ultamid 4. Ultimate tipi at 20 ounces and as big as a Cimmeron.

Back