Day Pack w/ Scabbard - CO Elk

Texan11

FNG
First time mountain hunt for me. Colorado elk hunt, no guide, but good group to go with. They swear by Eberlestock, but they don’t seem to have the best reviews. X1 is what they use, and then keep a meat hauler at camp. Seems like there would be better options in this day and age that can do both. Maybe not. Biggest requirement for them is the scabbard. Fits hunting style and need for hands due to terrain. I’m in great shape now, but broke my back (car wreck) a few years back. Needless to say, I want the most comfortable option. Kifaru and SG seem to be the front runners, but do not offer a scabbard. The load being centered is super important/don’t want gun to one side. Great way for me to get sore.

All that to say, I’m looking for the best possible day pack with scabbard and frame for meat hauling. Can this be done with one pack that’s comfortable?

Eberlestock F1 frame, Vapor 2500 & scabbard with the padded versions of their shoulder harness and hip belt seem to be the winner right now.

Stryker XL with a scabbard (I know, you can’t) would be my perfect pack based on research. I’ve looked into the gun bearer, but seems like it would be horribly slow (and high) if strapped to the bag.

Thoughts? Thank you.

AKEK

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
If you are open to other options defiantly consider getting an AKEK pack. Looks like it has everything you are looking for. We have had many guys make the switch and are loving it! You won't be disappointed!
Or if you want something bigger and even more modular get the 5400

SM1

FNG
I was in the same situation. I’ve run an eberlestock X2 with rifle scabbard for a few years elk hunting. I really like the pack and love the scabbard. It’s a solid pack and I can’t believe I haven’t tore the stitching out of it yet for how much I have loaded it down.

It’s just not really an effective meat hauler though.

Essentially have to strap a quarter to the back of the bag and it really pulls on the shoulders that way. I’d get the first load to the truck and swap for a frame pack that wasn’t much more comfortable.

Now I ordered an Exo K4. This will do it all. It doesn’t have the scabbard but well worth it for the comfort and versatility.

Scabbard is nice, but don’t let it be the main deciding factor on your pack.

pirogue

WKR
There is such a selection these days, that a daypack and a meathauler is not the ideal pack for either. A man needs more than one pack, come on.