Day hunt vs backpack hunt

Backpacking. Love the physical challenge, sleeping outside, everything. Even packing meat. Can't wait to get in the mountains this year.

I'm prepared physically and gear wise to do both types of hunts depending on where the elk are. I do find that day hunts are more relaxed and enjoyable mentally than overnight spiking out. Overnight backpack hunting is a bit more mentally and physically intense with little creature comforts and camaraderie that can be had at a nice warm basecamp with hunting buddies. As others have said, it pays to be adaptable and capable of doing both types of hunts as elk and other game have a "mind" of their own and are often unpredictable.

Mostly day hunts but prefer to be in a ways and hunt from there. Rough being in bed and waking up 1:00 morning to hit the road for 2 hours and another 2 hours to hike in. Makes for a long day and tough drives but when you don’t have much time it is what it is

This is Rokslide. All good hunters go 10 miles deep with 10k vertical, through blow down and oak brush. Then spike out and do a 20 mile radius.

In all seriousness, I don't do day hunts in the west. Part of the challenge in hiking in and finding a spot no one else cares to hike to. Then setting up so the day hunters push them to ya.....haha. I have killed a lot of elk by staying out in the weather. Day hunting would not have been physically possible with the snow depth.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to be mobile
The country I hunt has gnarly mountains,few animals, and always a road within 6-8 miles max
Lots of decent hunting within 3 miles and a warm bed an hour away.
In all honesty I love backpack hunting. But for where I hunt it usually is not even as effective. Some of both I ges.

SonnyDay

WKR
I do both. I like being away from other hunters if we can manage it... which usually means steep hikes and deadfall.

I also just love camping out, looking at the night sky when I have to take a leak in the middle of the night, hearing various animals bugling, snorting, howling, hooting, or whatever. I also like my sleep so it's nice being close to where we're planning to hunt the next day.

But we try to confirm the animals are there before we hike in... and if we're not seeing sign after a day or two, we'll get back in the truck and try somewhere else.

F21FALCON

FNG
Well I have to use a CPAP so I have to have electricity to run it at night. Kinda sucks since I've never been on a backpack hunt.