all the sheds that we find,
have to lay until May just sun basking!

Happy new year fellow gridhikers!

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Too bad folks can't be out enjoying the opportunity that they have

Hnthrdr

WKR
This is funny 😆 no one actually watches them “bake” guys are out there grabbing them. It’s not even worth it going out anymore come May 1 in my neck of the woods all that’s left is boot tracks

Lawnboi

WKR
Wait till the libs put 2 and 2 together and notice those natural dog bones that you have been selling to the antler pimps are just shed elk antlers and decide they are better left for the fluffy beautiful wolves.

OP
squid-freshprints

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
This is funny 😆 no one actually watches them “bake” guys are out there grabbing them. It’s not even worth it going out anymore come May 1 in my neck of the woods all that’s left is boot tracks
This is true, about a half of the sheds I mark preseason are gone by may 1. However, last year I found a fresh bomber 20 yrds from a popular road in the open, and it remained 6 weeks until the 1st. To offset that story I have twenty heartbreakers though.

Hnthrdr

WKR
This is true, about a half of the sheds I mark preseason are gone by may 1. However, last year I found a fresh bomber 20 yrds from a popular road in the open, and it remained 6 weeks until the 1st. To offset that story I have twenty heartbreakers though.
I mean that gives you a little hope for humanity, but definitely the exception to the rule. Found only a few in the past couple years during turkey hunting, but those were way off the beaten path, all the usual haunts are done by then. Personally I would rather people just leave the critters alone they get enough stress. Too many folks in Co trying to love it to death these days

Stalker69

WKR
Not quite sure what the big thing is with sheds, other then guys making lamps and what not. But the popularity of collecting them has exploded, its just a matter of time until you have to apply for a permit, and pay for a lic. to look for them.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Not quite sure what the big thing us with sheds, other then guys making lamps and what not. But the popularity has exploded, its just a matter of time until you have to apply for a permit, and pay for a lic. to look for them.
Dog chews and weiner pills for the chi coms… the monetary value of them plus social media has absolutely ruined it. Wait name some thing that those two things haven’t ruined I’ll wait. Don’t think it was as big of a deal back in the day but it’s out of control now

Stalker69

WKR
If I find a few while hunting and if they are nice, I will pick them up and make something from them. But I don't ever go looking for them. Like I painted this moose shed that was pretty bleached out and rodents had nibbled on most of the points.

Attachments

• 96055E1A-9068-4F8A-A9F4-715104F6EF83.jpeg
    96055E1A-9068-4F8A-A9F4-715104F6EF83.jpeg
    441.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
OP
squid-freshprints

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
Dog chews and weiner pills for the chi coms… the monetary value of them plus social media has absolutely ruined it. Wait name some thing that those two things haven’t ruined I’ll wait. Don’t think it was as big of a deal back in the day but it’s out of control now
I have never personally sold a shed. I use them in sculptures, flintknapping, ect. It is a tradition that goes back 4 generations in my family. I am in the woods year round doing different things and have learned more from shed hunting than anything else. It keeps me healthy. My dogs love pinks. and finally, I hunt, snowboard, and ride moto so I am used to people being all sad about my hobbies and don't care.

Not quite sure what the big thing is with sheds, other then guys making lamps and what not. But the popularity of collecting them has exploded, its just a matter of time until you have to apply for a permit, and pay for a lic. to look for them.
Money and social media has definitely driven the popularity.

manitou1

WKR
They sell for $20 a pound. A guy picks up sixty pounds of sheds, that is $1200 for his *#~%+* habit!

CorbLand

WKR
I think part of it is how long it takes to get tags anymore. Why wait 20 years to draw a elk or deer tag to kill one animal when you can pickup it’s sheds for 3 or 4 years. I know a couple people that don’t even hunt, they just shed hunt because they can do it every year.

Yep, I’ve never understood the whole shed craze either. I find a few while hunting, pick them up and look them over. Then, drop them right back on the ground.

It’s like a giant treasure hunt that resets itself once a year. Something to do in the spring to get out and hit the hills. Also, the money can be pretty dang good. In my yearly 20s I paid for some really nice gear by shed hunting when I couldn’t afford it from my paychecks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
I have never personally sold a shed. I use them in sculptures, flintknapping, ect. It is a tradition that goes back 4 generations in my family. I am in the woods year round doing different things and have learned more from shed hunting than anything else. It keeps me healthy. My dogs love pinks. and finally, I hunt, snowboard, and ride moto so I am used to people being all sad about my hobbies and don't care.
Not accusing you of anything man. I’m just stating why it was ruined. I’m in the same boat was picking up antlers for years before it became “cool” and I’ve never sold one. Used it as an excuse to explore a ton of new country. Loved hiking miles and miles and miles and it gave me a little bit more of an incentive than just exercising. I’m bummed what it has become in the last few years