Danner Elk Hunter

I have a pair I bought back in 2016. I like them a lot but it depends on the terrain you hunt. Not sure if you have ever worn a welted sole boot for hunting. I was a little disappointed in how thin the leather is and don’t find them to have as much ankle support as I would expect from an all leather boot. If I was going to buy another pair of American made Danner’s I think I would get better ankle support out of some of the others like the Grouse. Definitely pay attention to their sizing recommendations as the Elk Hunters and other built on the same last run narrow.

Strangely, I’ve been wearing these Dana boots all day the other day, doing tasks of splitting wood, sawing, carrying heavy items, etc. i haven’t had any discomfort anywhere, which is super unnatural for me because of my foot shape.

I bought some Danner boots a few years ago online. They didn't fit well, I never wore them outside as the bad fit was obvious. Anyhow, it was a real PITA to return them. They didn't give me a hard time about it, and I did get my money back eventually, but it took a lot of emails/effort.

They were not very responsive.

The imported Danners like the Pronghorn are not even is the same category as their American made boots. That being said they are a lot more expensive and you could get a good pair of mountain boots from Lowa, Hanwag, Kennetrek, etc, for the same price or less than American made Danners. It really comes down to the fit for your foot and type of hunting you do.

I bought a pair of Danner East Ridge (USA, all-leather) after my Pronghorns failed prematurely and Danner GENEROUSLY offered 30% discount off of the full price of a replacement pair.
The East Ridge are uninsulated, and fit is much different than the Pronghorn. They fit a half size bigger than any other Danner I have owned.
I know they use different lasts but the fit of the imports (Pronghorn and High Country) was better than the USA boot I purchased.
I'm completely done with Danner.

I have a pair of elk hunters as well as a pair of I think the Alsea's? I can say the USA made elk hunters are a much better quality boot than the non USA made Alsea's. Although I did put an insert in the elk hunters as for some reason they made the heel of one of my feet sore.

I ran the USA made Danner Elk Hunters years ago. After wearing them, never again a bobbed sole like that. The comfort of the boot was awesome and walking on flat hard dry ground they felt great.
The bad was any mud, the bob sole would hold the mud like a brand new mud tire and not kick it off without manually removing it. All boots will hold mud, but the height of the bob allowed for more mud and making the boots of course heavier. The other negative in my opinion was on ice or a low water creek crossing the boots were slicker than heck.
The leather part of the boots held up awesome but the sole eventually started loosing individual lugs.

RAG2Scott

FNG
I have a pair I use for hunting in SE Alaska and Texas and been very happy with their range of use. Great between 30-68 temps and variety of terrain except wet rock slabs and wet logs… BOB sole is super slick in those conditions. Otherwise very comfortable.

SDHNTR

WKR
Some of us OG’s were wearing Danner Elk Hunters long before Kenetreks or Crispis et al ever hit the scene. No idea if the new versions are anything like the old, but they used to be awesome boots before everyone went all mountaineering dork.

RAG2Scott

FNG
Some of us OG’s were wearing Danner Elk Hunters long before Kenetreks or Crispis et al ever hit the scene. No idea if the new versions are anything like the old, but they used to be awesome boots before everyone went all mountaineering dork.
I know some guys in their late 60s who have had them resolved after wearing out and then upgrade to a vibram sole that is more versatile than the BOB or simply a few very short wading studs in. Being recraftable is something I value.

ManBun

FNG
I wore the Danner Elk hunters for years. I would destroy a pair in 1 hunting season it seemed like. Either I would break half of the BOB sole knobs off, blow out the stitching on the side above where the sole connects, waterproofing would leak, or cut the leather through the boot from a sharp rock.
Didn’t know of any other great boot makers at the time till I was introduced to Kenetrek, bought a pair and never looked back.