Dall sheep status southern yukon

outahand

FNG
any one have any info on dall sheep population , seems numbers were down last few years due to weather

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
The SW Yukon around Kluane lake has seen the biggest declines in their sheep populations. We've had a few years of heavy snowfall that resulted in some tough winters for sheep in those regions. YG is now discussing bringing in some adaptive management for zones in the SW for the 2024 hunting season.

OP
outahand

outahand

FNG
The SW Yukon around Kluane lake has seen the biggest declines in their sheep populations. We've had a few years of heavy snowfall that resulted in some tough winters for sheep in those regions. YG is now discussing bringing in some adaptive management for zones in the SW for the 2024 hunting season.
I had heard some talk of that , thanks for that ,its good to know the YG is going to do something about that

cbeard64

WKR
Dang I sure hate to hear that. Took a beautiful Dall ram in that region in 2017. Populations were robust then with lots of mature rams on the landscape. Breathtaking country.

OP
outahand

outahand

FNG
Dang I sure hate to hear that. Took a beautiful Dall ram in that region in 2017. Populations were robust then with lots of mature rams on the landscape. Breathtaking country.
The good news is it sounds like YG is going to do something about it

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I had heard some talk of that , thanks for that ,its good to know the YG is going to do something about that
Here is the release of some of the sheep survey data for the Kluane Lake region (https://yukon.ca/sites/yukon.ca/files/env/kluane_region_sheep_population_surveys_2023_-_summary.pdf). Wait and see what YG proposes, historically they have reduced resident and outfitter hunting opportunities in response to population declines. I wouldn't think they have the funds to explore any other options at the moment.

OP
outahand

outahand

FNG

ACK8

FNG
I hunted the SW Yukon this past August (east side of Kluane Lake) on an outfitted hunt and according to my guide, his estimate was the population was down about 20%. We saw 27 rams (7 legal) and about 50 lambs and ewes during my hunt.

Sneaker

FNG
Not great news, especially considering that I am booked with Mervyn’s in 2025, whose concession covers some of this area.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
thank you for the study. it is a shame we do not have the harvest per sub zone i got it few years ago but it was a deep battle with atipp office and env but at the end i got what i needed.

i think the sheep population is down everywhere but i cant say if it s only related to heavy snow falls.

MntHunter

FNG
You should be fine. I was there in 23, the population was down compared to when I was there in 17, but saw 4 legal rams and lots of sheep before tagging out on Day 7.

Sneaker

FNG
make sure you re not going where the local hunters can go on Tim concession ...

Can Yukon local residents hunt anywhere in outfitter concessions? Are there just some areas more accessible to the locals that get more pressure?

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Can Yukon local residents hunt anywhere in outfitter concessions? Are there just some areas more accessible to the locals that get more pressure?
Yep, we can hunt anywhere an outfitter operates. Some areas (like Mervyns) see a lot of locals, others do not see anywhere near the same amount of local pressure due to proximity to whitehorse. Some outfitters go so far as to threaten to pull their business from any float plane operation that could potentially fly a local in. That helps keep some locals out, but there are still a lot of guys who own their own super cubs that will drop into more remote concessions.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
as answered by wcs locals can go anywhere and the access is the problem for some of us but the closest you are from whitehorse the more the chance you have to meet some locals.
the area with the most hunting pressure should be put on draws if there is enough animals or even closed which i doubt yg will do for outfitters but certainly will do for us ... like they did for caribou few years ago ...