Dall sheep Hunt Video - Alaska Range

You're welcome.
Thank you very much for this! I love that country and it looks like you had a great hunt. This is how we hunted sheep before the internet and rokslide, etc... Back before ballistic coeffecients mattered, we wore cotton, and all of those other internet myths, haha. In 1992 during your hunt, I was exactly 63 miles east of you hunting solo on a DS 203 Walk-in tag. I was hunting solo and had just turned 20 years old, and was a college student at UAF. I experienced the same snow storm. I killed an amazing curl-and-a-quarter ram who was down in a basin at the melting snow line.

Fast forward to 2011, and I was doing a hike across the Central Alaska Range. That hunting cabin was still there, and We hiked right up to it, and followed the drainage to the west up over into the next river valley and floated the ___ River down to where we could take a pass over to the next river to float it out to near McKinley Village outside of Healy.

I am going through some health problems that have sidelined me from sheep hunting, so I absolutely appreciate you posting this. It was a great time to be alive and sheep hunting in 1992 and in that beautiful, classic sheep hunting country.

Cheers and Happy Trails!

OP
f16jack

f16jack

WKR
Thank you very much for this! I love that country and it looks like you had a great hunt. This is how we hunted sheep before the internet and rokslide, etc... Back before ballistic coeffecients mattered, we wore cotton, and all of those other internet myths, haha. In 1992 during your hunt, I was exactly 63 miles east of you hunting solo on a DS 203 Walk-in tag. I was hunting solo and had just turned 20 years old, and was a college student at UAF. I experienced the same snow storm. I killed an amazing curl-and-a-quarter ram who was down in a basin at the melting snow line.

Fast forward to 2011, and I was doing a hike across the Central Alaska Range. That hunting cabin was still there, and We hiked right up to it, and followed the drainage to the east up over into the next river valley and floated the ___ River down to where we could take a pass over to the next river to float it out to near McKinley Village outside of Healy.

I am going through some health problems that have sidelined me from sheep hunting, so I absolutely appreciate you posting this. It was a great time to be alive and sheep hunting in 1992 and in that beautiful, classic sheep hunting country.

Cheers and Happy Trails!
Thanks for the note and the memories. My guide has said that occasionally passers by will leave notes and fix the place a bit. I went back to the cabin several years later and there was a note there from a guy who had done just that.
I've got about 20 more hunts like that one to upload. Enjoy.
Thanks. Jack.

Last edited:
Thanks for the note and the memories. My guide has said that occasionally passers by will leave notes and fix the place a bit. I went back to the cabin several years later and there was a note there from a guy who had done just that.
Since you liked the video any chance you could subscribe to my newly formed channel on YouTube? (@f16jack) I've got about 20 more hunts like that one to upload.
Thanks. Jack.

Last edited: