Cva wolf

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a muzzleloader hunt coming up quick and I ended up needing parts for mine. Which I haven’t been able to locate due to Knight not responding to emails or calls. As luck would have it my awesome buddy Robby had one for me to use. It is the one he did a review on last year Cva wolf and power belt project.https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/cva-wolf-powerbelt-project.188437/ Robby sent it out to me quickly. When I got it first thing came to mind was in his review he said it has a bb gun feel. It does and is going to be nice to carry on the mountain. Though I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be shooting bulls and 240 yards with it. I'm excited to get it out to the range the next day or so. I'm lucky he gave me a starting load.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

RS3579

WKR
Good luck. I have the same one. I’m impressed with the accuracy of it @100yards. I use White Hots w/ Barnes T-EZ 290 gr and a federal 209A primer. Very nice to carry also.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You will like packing that gun Jim.

You might even find a more accurate load than what we did.

As my 14-year-old son at the time was the only one with the tag, I didn’t worry too much about pushing the accuracy limits on the gun because I wasn’t gonna let him shoot beyond about 125 yards anyways. The 348 grain power belt for lead on top of 120 grains of triple seven shot average groups for a muzzleloader, probably in that three inch plus range at 100.

While the gun is easy to clean because the breech plug can be taken out by hand, it’s still gets dirty pretty fast. One day at the range I had a misfire on the second shot after a clean gun so I really did a better job cleaning it after that and was able to get many more shots without a misfire after that. Keep that breech plug clean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
Something to remember with those CVA Wolfs is to remove the firing pin and clean that spring and cavity. It gets dirty too.

Very sage advice here. As long as you keep the firing pin assembly and breech plug clear, though, they're like a BB gun that punches tags. Highly recommend the 290 grain Barnes T-EZ for elk if sabots are legal where you hunt- if not, Thor bullets do the trick. Either of those over 95-105 grains of 777 or 90-95 grains of BH209 (by volume) should be a good elk load

Screenshot_20211109-181652_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211109-181652_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211109-181652_Gallery.jpg
    808.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Something to remember with those CVA Wolfs is to remove the firing pin and clean that spring and cavity. It gets dirty too.
When it get too dirty, the hammer won’t cock.

Don’t ask me how I know…

Hahahahs. Jim take note, I cleaned the gun thoroughly but I do not remember if I did that. It was 11 months ago

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Very sage advice here. As long as you keep the firing pin assembly and breech plug clear, though, they're like a BB gun that punches tags. Highly recommend the 290 grain Barnes T-EZ for elk if sabots are legal where you hunt- if not, Thor bullets do the trick. Either of those over 95-105 grains of 777 or 90-95 grains of BH209 (by volume) should be a good elk load

View attachment 344971

Oh I wish we could get a tag that allowed sabots so we could try those Barnes. Thanks for the load advice!

Gentlemen,
I’m completely new to smoke poles, yet I found myself pulling a late November muzzleloader deer tag from the second draw here in Idaho.

I bought the wolf northwest and a bunch of needed gear to go with it. I tried to do as much studying as I could while I waited for it to get here, but apparently I didn’t do enough. I bought 3lbs of Triple 7 fffg. According to my owners manual I shouldn’t use fffg in it, but rather ffg. I had no idea there was a difference until today. Does anyone know if I just need to reduce the charge on the fffg stuff to make it work the same, or do I need to find a buyer for it so I can replace it with the right stuff?

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can shoot FFFG in it, just drop your starting load by about 10% and work up.

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Gentlemen,
I’m completely new to smoke poles, yet I found myself pulling a late November muzzleloader deer tag from the second draw here in Idaho.

I bought the wolf northwest and a bunch of needed gear to go with it. I tried to do as much studying as I could while I waited for it to get here, but apparently I didn’t do enough. I bought 3lbs of Triple 7 fffg. According to my owners manual I shouldn’t use fffg in it, but rather ffg. I had no idea there was a difference until today. Does anyone know if I just need to reduce the charge on the fffg stuff to make it work the same, or do I need to find a buyer for it so I can replace it with the right stuff?

Three F is finer and burns faster and raises your pressure in you gun . Reduce your powder charge by 15 % and that should take care of it.

slb6630

FNG
Good luck. I have the same one. I’m impressed with the accuracy of it @100yards. I use White Hots w/ Barnes T-EZ 290 gr and a federal 209A primer. Very nice to carry also.
Have you pushed it passed 100 yards? I've been thinking about getting one myself for next season.

RS3579

WKR
Have you pushed it passed 100 yards? I've been thinking about getting one myself for next season.
Yes. I’m pretty impressed with accuracy. Only to 125 yds. I haven’t used black horn. The accuracy with the white hots I feel I don’t need to change anything.

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
That's great, I have an optima V2 and I was looking for a second muzzleloader for my wife and daughter coming up. NM's new scope law made me consider a wolf for the fact that we probably wouldn't push the gun past 125 yards. not to hijack the thread but is there a drastic difference between the two? threads like this tells me the Wolf would be a great addition.

marcymcee

FNG
I have one too, they are super easy to carry and really precise at 100 yards. For the price nothing to complain ! I got mine on a sale on their website and only paid 180 for it with the scope rings. I use a couple of those pyrodex bricks and the traditions smackdown bullets in 250gr, works great.
I’m really happy with mine.

Rich M

WKR
That's great, I have an optima V2 and I was looking for a second muzzleloader for my wife and daughter coming up. NM's new scope law made me consider a wolf for the fact that we probably wouldn't push the gun past 125 yards. not to hijack the thread but is there a drastic difference between the two? threads like this tells me the Wolf would be a great addition.
Some years back, i had a wolf that wouldnt shoot. Supposedly they have done better with all the positive press these days.

My optima v2 shoots exceptional at 120 yds. I went w that due to my earlier experience w wolf.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Some years back, i had a wolf that wouldnt shoot. Supposedly they have done better with all the positive press these days.

My optima v2 shoots exceptional at 120 yds. I went w that due to my earlier experience w wolf.

Nothings really changed, that's just the way CVA is, and always has been. Even WAY back in the day they were this way. One of the few sought after CVA's is their Mountain rifle. I had one briefly, and it too was quite poor as far as fit and finish. What makes them special, besides not looking too bad of a southern mountain rifle replica for a cheap production gun, is that they used made in USA Douglas barrels which shot surprisingly well. Nothing has changed today. You just as easily could have got an Optima that shot poorly. I've seen reports of bore sizes all over the map, and that only tells half the story. You can always fit your bullet to the barrel, but if that size varies throughout that barrel or has some other kind of anomaly, it's never going to shoot. I can't speak for the higher end CVA models, I know nothing about them, but the Wolf and Optima are all over the map on quality. You never know what you are going to get. The only reason CVA might have got better press today is because they literally out lived the competition. Thompson Center killed themselves, specifically S&W killed them, but it wasn't really from quality. Knight used to be top of the top until the great recession, and they still make top class quality, but apparently the new owners don't understand marketing at all. Their cheap Vision beats the Wolf and Optima hands down, but when was the last time you saw a commercial for a Knight Vision? Word of mouth only gets you so far, especially today and now that inline muzzleloaders are the defacto standard rather than the new toy people wanted. Traditions used to be right there with CVA, but for some reason seems to have fallen from favor in the inline market. Instead they seem to have taken hold more in the cheap traditional market like the TC Hawken/Renegades used to be. So now CVA is free to do whatever. They get good press because they are all the average joe knows anymore.