CVA wolf V1 accuracy issues.

Hello, just wondering if anyone has a load suggestion (volume recommendation) for a CVA wolf V1, I have used powerbelts mainly and Pyrodex 2F
I’m currently going to try 295gr PB HP. I have switched to hodgdon T7 2F in my Kodiak (primary user) and I’m trying to get my old wolf to shoot decent for a secondary carry for my hunt. I’ve tried loads from 100-150gr vol in it (wolf magnum) and it just doesn’t shoot very good groups. I can barely hit a milk jug at 75 yards. I’m using 95gr vol in my Kodiak and it shoots great with the 295s. I’m wondering if I have been using too much powder in my wolf causing accuracy issues? Any suggestions appreciated.

Rich M

WKR
I had the same thing with a Wolf. It never shot right. Was frustrating, got rid of it.

Got an Optima V2 to replace it. First year it shot cloverleafs, second it was shooting 8 inch groups (both off rest) - same powder, same bullets, same primers. Got it to shoot tighter and killed a buck. Gonna get another ML tag this year so will see how it works this time...

I’ve tried loads from 100-150gr vol in it (wolf magnum) and it just doesn’t shoot very good groups. I can barely hit a milk jug at 75 yards.
I’d suggest a lighter charge then - work down in 5 gr increments from100. Most of us (who are serious muzzy hunters) are not fans of Powerbelts, but you shouldn’t have that much trouble getting them to shoot decently.

Are you using a scope for load dev?

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
I used to teach building trades at a community College in redneckville. I had a lot of students that bought wolf muzzleloaders because of the price and asked me to see if I could get shoot a good group with their gun. There wasn't a single one that would outshoot a 12 gauge with a vent rib smoothbore barrel and foster slugs. I don't know why they are so bad, but I have never seen one that would shoot. My advice, sell it and move on.

OP
Muleyobsession1
I’d suggest a lighter charge then - work down in 5 gr increments from100. Most of us (who are serious muzzy hunters) are not fans of Powerbelts, but you shouldn’t have that much trouble getting them to shoot decently.

Are you using a scope for load dev?
Yeah a 1x because that’s what My state requires

OP
Muleyobsession1
Ditch the Powerbelts.

Get a sizing pack from Thor or No Excuses and find out what your bore size is. Then get that size of bullets

Try Pyrodex P
I do have a size pack from no excuses. I’ve just always had good luck with pb in previous guns, I know a lot of shooters hate pb but I haven’t seen any bad results on game with them

My wolf does not shoot powder belts well. 5” at 100 roughly. It does shoot any sabot that I’ve tried much better..2” ish IIRC. Haven’t messed with it in a few years but I’d try some different bullets before you give up on it and make sure your mounts are torqued down and not moving.

Kyguy

FNG
They are really hit and miss. I have two V1 rifles for my sons, they're 2-3" guns on the best of days, which is plenty good for the areas that they get used in. I had a brand new V2, literally bought a month after it hit the market, that wouldn't shoot less than 6" with ANYTHING that was tried, I've got a whole box of stuff, there's 15 different bullet/sabot styles in it, and it wouldn't shoot any of them, and most were so hard to load that I broke the ramrod trying. The muzzle was so tight, I literally pounded the bullets in, then it would slide for a few inches, get tight again, then literally drop down to the breech plug. Sent it in to CVA with a bag of different bullets/sabots I tried, they sent it back with a note that literally said "Passes a Powerbelt". Didn't shoot it, didn't say that they tried the other bullets, and then to top it off, they kept all the bullets I sent! When I raised a ruckus about it on their Facebook groups, one of their marketing guys ended up sending me 6 or 7 packs of different Powerbelts to try, and they all shot like crap too, even with three different powders and pellets. It pissed me off because they couldn't/wouldn't rebarrel a break action rifle that was $200, but they sent me $150 (retail cost) of bullets. Funny enough, last year I came across some .40 cal 200gr T/C bullets with the .50 sabot, they'll load without breaking anything and they shot consistent 1.5" groups with two White Hots. The rifle sits in the safe, I won't pass that crap onto another person. I did take it out last season with the T/C bullets but didn't get a chance on anything. A month later I came across a brand new in box, old stock, Knight Disc Elite, so that's the rifle of choice now.

Last edited:
OP
Muleyobsession1
I would not recommends PBs, especially on elk. The game deserves better. Thor, Fury, etc. and a few others are much better.
Well that’s odd because every deer I’ve ever been around that was killed with a PB was totally devastated internally… are you guys talking the aero tip? I’ve only used the full lead and the hp copper

Well that’s odd because every deer I’ve ever been around that was killed with a PB was totally devastated internally… are you guys talking the aero tip? I’ve only used the full lead and the hp copper
No worries. You asked others for opinions you got mine on elk. PBs for elk? You couldn't pay me enough to shoot one with it. Lousy penetration equals potential lost game. Go with a solid copper or heavy bonded bullet (340-400 grs).

SloppyJ

WKR
I'm not exaggerating, I wouldn't hunt if all I had were powerbelts. They are the worst thing I've ever shot out of any gun.

I hate to say this because of the price but my accura significantly tightened up using BH209. Not sure if it will help a wolf but it's all I use now.

Powerbelts are just soft little blobs of lead. Crappy terminal performance. They’ll work on deer sized game if you don’t push them too fast. But why chance it?

SloppyJ

WKR
Powerbelts are just soft little blobs of lead. Crappy terminal performance. They’ll work on deer sized game if you don’t push them too fast. But why chance it?
I'd beg to differ. I've seen about 5 with no blood trail to speak of and a wadded up deer with a few specks of blood about 100yds away. Not bad if you're in a field, not good if you're in thick woods.