CVA Paramount HTR vs Accura LR-X

Hey guys. Looking for a new muzzleloader. Been hunting with a muzzleloader since I could legally carry a gun. My old NEF is getting pretty worn and needs to be replaced.

I would love a budget “long range” muzzleloader. Honesty, probably won’t ever be shooting more than 300 yards and mostly at whitetails.

The Paramount sounds like the Cadillac of off the shelf, budget rifles. But I have also been eying the Accura LR-X. It looks to use a Begara barrel, like the Paramount and have a similar accuracy potential, for a few hundred dollars less than the Paramount.

Really trying to weigh whether or not to drop the coin on the Paramount. I am sure I’d be happy with it and it could shoot better than I can. But will the Accura give me the same experience? If I save a bit on the rifle, maybe I can get a better optic and still be at the same budget, with a better optic?

Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMac

FNG
Wouldn't buy an Accura MR-X or LR-X unless I could first run a bore Size kit from like Thor through the barrel. If I could get consistent pressure from muzzle to breech, absolutely. Would Never buy one hoping it was consistent. Based on Personal experience.

One of the primary decision points is going to be figuring out how important extra muzzle velocity is to you. The LR-X is a standard muzzleloader in that the max BH209 charge is recommended at 120 grains by volume. One of the primary differences with the Paramount is that it can use a long rifle primer and the Vari-flame adapter. The extra juice from the rifle prime is claimed to be capable of creating accurate shots with up to 170 grains of BH209. That'll boost muzzle velocity by at least several hundred FPS depending on bullet weight and bore diameter.

I’ll start by saying I do not believe you can beat the Paramount HTR in .40 for an OTC front loader.

If you’ll NEVER shoot over 300, then the LR-X is plenty of gun and as you mentioned, better optics are always a great thing. I shoot a TC Omega (same 120gr BH209 limit) to 300yds regularly. With a 200gr shockwave at 2235fps, it can take all the whitetail I point it at. It does have a modified breech plug allowing the use of variflame which I do recommend. Variflame adapters can be had for tons of guns and cost less than $50. They really do work in my experience. Took my gun from 2.5” average groups to true 1” groups.

Variflame gets you more consistent ignition, not the capability to burn more powder. The break action of the LR-X is not as strong as the bolt action Paramount. The action is why the Paramount can shoot 170grs by volume of BH209.

170grs of powder vs 120 grs is a GIANT recoil jump. 42% capacity increase. That’s like 308 win to 300 RUM difference in powder! Even with a muzzle break, it is going to require great form to maximize the potential of the Paramount. Depending on the numbers you plug into a recoil calculator that’s 26ft/lbs vs 53ft/lbs!

BUT, I love velocity, so when is finish saving my pennies, I want an HTR!

That's great info on the variflame adapter plug for the MR/LR-X. It makes sense that it would help a ton with more uniform powder burn and better group size at close to max charges of BH209 in the Accuras. Definitely wouldn't go without a variflame for the 170 grain charges on the Paramount.

Unfortunately, from what I'm seeing the adapters for the MR/LR-X are out of stock across the board. Anyone know of a place that has these available?

WyOwen

FNG
I have the paramount htr, and am beyond happy with it! It shoots sub 1” groups with ease using the recommended middle charge weight and bullet.

Took an antelope at 285yds this season, absolutely crushed him!

I'd go with Arrowhead LRMP breechplug over Variflame. Are those in stock?
It looks like Arrowhead has the LRMP for the Accura in stock but they are quite a bit more expensive. If you have info the differences between the two systems and thoughts on the benefits of the Arrowhead version, I'd be interested.

In doing my research, I seem to recall factors like a better seal and overall higher quality product/support from arrowhead versus cva. You'll find more info on dedicated muzzleloader sites though.

I don't remember what the cost was, but it was not a factor in my decision. Maybe because I was in a hurry and the cva wasn't available then either...

I happened to have some LRMP in hand, and to this date I haven't seen any hot 209 primers available so that really drove my decision.

OP
RockinRam96
Thanks for the info. Thinking I’m gonna go with a Paramount. Not that I do a ton not muzzleloader hunting or shooting during that season, but shooting paper and steel will be fun with a ML out to 3,4,500 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuenstock

FNG
I have a cva accura mrx which is the same as the lrx just with a shorter barrel.
It’s been great no complaints.
Shot an elk at 110 yards with open sights and hit right where I was aiming. I can only hunt with open sights in Idaho, no optics allowed.
The only thing that kinda bugs me is you have to carry the ram rod in a separate pouch. There’s no Ram rod storage under the barrel which can make for awkward reloads if you need to do it in a hurry.

Westhunt

FNG
I shoot the LR-X .45 and absolutely love it. The price is very doable, it's accurate and easy to load/clean. I killed a buck at 340 yards with it this year. If you plan on shooting further than 400 go with the paramount. If not, you can save some money and get the LR-X.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk