Custom Moose Calls

RunNGunSC

FNG
I’ve got a rut moose hunt coming up and wondered if anyone has recommendations for a custom call maker. My buddy and I are big turkey hunters and are hoping for a great experience. We aren’t interested in electronic calls. Thanks

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
I understand but also think a cool cone would be a nice momento.
the most important is what you think will work but at the end we can all say that the moose males are not the smartest when the rut is running ... we even bring one when cutting winter fire wood with just the noise of the chainsaw ... anyway moose hunting preparation is important and enjoy it.

AKDoc

WKR
I agree with previous comments...a moose call (cone) is not a necessity. I, too, have had a bull or two come to the sound of my chainsaw when I was cutting firewood (not on a hunt).

That said, I always have something with me to use to scrape and call...for a few years I used to cut the bottom out of an oil jug. However, I bought a Bull-Magnet decades ago and it is always with me. It helps project my calls much further out...I've called bulls to me that were at least a mile out. I also get better nasal tone with it when cow calling. I've even turned approaching bulls a couple times by changing the direction that I called.

The only down-side to a Bull-Magnet is that it's bulky to pack, but I don't care...it's been way worth it. The image below shows the wear of many years (and it's going out again in September)...
IMG_6793.jpeg

Note. I have neither financial gain nor social connection with the above link.

BCsteve

WKR
D18F96AC-7AC2-4DEC-BE63-986C4D588689.jpg
Even better, make your own!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I agree with previous comments...a moose call (cone) is not a necessity. I, too, have had a bull or two come to the sound of my chainsaw when I was cutting firewood (not on a hunt).

That said, I always have something with me to use to scrape and call...for a few years I used to cut the bottom out of an oil jug. However, I bought a Bull-Magnet decades ago and it is always with me. It helps project my calls much further out...I've called bulls to me that were at least a mile out. I also get better nasal tone with it when cow calling. I've even turned approaching bulls a couple times by changing the direction that I called.

The only down-side to a Bull-Magnet is that it's bulky to pack, but I don't care...it's been way worth it. The image below shows the wear of many years (and it's going out again in September)...
View attachment 732792

Note. I have neither financial gain nor social connection with the above link.
Holy smokes inflation has even hit those things. I think mine was 22.99 at Walmart in anchorage back in ~ 2015…

Never hunted the moose fellas but if I do some day I think I would want a traditional birch bark cone and a palm off a rack for scraping brush, it would seem to me if I was fortunate enough to kill a bull winkle these things would go good sitting near the mount of or perhaps on a display shelf with a picture of the recently deceased. Have a good hunt.

Jimss

WKR
Hands and stick! Moose have incredible hearing. If you think about it a bull moose's antlers act as a funnel for sound to their large ears.

Cup your hands! Also, use a stick to whack trees and rub branches. Both of those combined can be heard for around a mile and will seal the deal!

I’ve got a rut moose hunt coming up and wondered if anyone has recommendations for a custom call maker. My buddy and I are big turkey hunters and are hoping for a great experience. We aren’t interested in electronic calls. Thanks
This peaked my interest check out moose calls on sites like e-bay.