Custom build cost?

TauPhi111

WKR
I built my custom precision gun off a Savage 111 action and I spent about 3k including optics I think

Apollo117

WKR
Can y'all share itemized lists detailing the parts and cost of parts?

Are you using a gunsmith, DIY, or both?

Sorry if I'm derailing OP. I've never built a custom rifle. I'm curious how inexpensively I could DIY a semi-custom build.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Can y'all share itemized lists detailing the parts and cost of parts?

Are you using a gunsmith, DIY, or both?

Sorry if I'm derailing OP. I've never built a custom rifle. I'm curious how inexpensively I could DIY a semi-custom build.

Curious myself

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Is anybody using their Hells Canyon Armory carbon barrels on a custom build? They look like the bees knees

ckleeves

WKR
It’s really hard to put any sort of cost to a build without having an idea of what exactly someone wants.

You can screw a pre fit barrel on to a action you may already have and drop it into a B&C or one of the other more budget friendly stocks, do a little trigger work and have a “custom” rifle for under 800.00 (if you already have a rifle that’s feasible to build off)

Or you can buy a custom TI action, carbon barrel, spend 250.00+ on a trigger, good bottom metal and a good brake aren’t exactly cheap, a McMillan or Manners stock etc and be north of 4K.

There is nothing wrong with either option or something in the middle. Some budget builds shoot lights out.

IMO it’s the little things that can add up pretty quick. Triggers, bottom metal, cerakote, brakes, rings/bases, Smith work, a reamer and gauges if your going with something off the wall, etc. A lot of guys price a Barrel, action and stock and grossly underestimate actual cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
My last semi custom build cost me about 2k without optics. I used a remington 700 action that I got for 250 bucks.
Proof barrel -370 (demo model)
Action trued, barrel chambered-500
Bolt skeletonized, fluted, tac knob-300
Cerakote action, bottom metal, barrel-150
B&C stock-300
Timney trigger-120.

I think I had it done pretty cheap, the work to bolt wasn't need just looked cool. Not to mention the only reason why I did it because I found a screaming deal on a proof carbon fiber barrel but a non fluted steel barrel is the same price.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Mike at Hells Canyon is building mine.
AG Composite stock, the Alpine Hunter.
Lone Peak Razor TI. Action
Trigger Tech trigger
Hells Canyon Heavy Hunter Carbon Barrel 6.5 CM.
Forgot...Bottom metal, HS Precision Detachable Magazine $320
Finish gun just over $4000 (my wife thinks it's $500😁)

Last edited:

ofl0926

WKR
Trigger Tech trigger

same hear

Mike at Hells Canyon
AG Composite stock Alpine Hunter.
Stiller Predator Action
Trigger Tech trigger
Hells Canyon Heavy Hunter Carbon Barrel 6.5 PRC
Cerakoted action and break
Muzzle break

ofl0926

WKR
Trigger Tech trigger

what optic are you going to run on your rifle?

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking about a 300rum. Factory 700 action, carbon barrel, manners eh1 stock and some work done to the factory trigger. The get a brake and possibly flute the bolt and Cerokote... Does 3k sound about right for that??

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Talk to Mike at Hells Canyon Armory, he was running some discounts. He has some threads on Rokslide now. He was very helpful with me.

ofl0926

WKR
Thinking about a 300rum. Factory 700 action, carbon barrel, manners eh1 stock and some work done to the factory trigger. The get a brake and possibly flute the bolt and Cerokote... Does 3k sound about right for that??

talk to Mike at Hells canyon. he is a great guy and extremely helpful

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Heres where I am at right now...

Stock: Manners EH1 $600
Barrel: HCA $615 with rokslide code
Action: complete rem 700, $400
Muzzle brake: $100
Smith Fees: $600?? really not sure about this one.

What am I missing and where am I wrong?

WKR
At 600 for smith work might be enough for the smith to true the action, chamber the barrel and thread the barrel for the muzzle break. If you want the smith to bed the action, do trigger work or cerakote the metal you will have to spend more. Or if you want to flute the bolt. Are you going to use the bottom medal from the 700 bdl or go for a magazine? you can also upgrade the recoil lug for like another 40 bucks or so.

ofl0926

WKR
Heres where I am at right now...

Stock: Manners EH1 $600
Barrel: HCA $615 with rokslide code
Action: complete rem 700, $400
Muzzle brake: $100
Smith Fees: $600?? really not sure about this one.

What am I missing and where am I wrong?

You will want the action blue printed, barrel chambered, barrel cut for muzzle break, bedding the action. What are you going to use for bottom metal?

Trust me, talk to someone instead of trying to figure it out on your own. You will drive yourself insane crunching numbers. Call the gunsmith you want to work with and he will work with you. Mike and I spoke multiple times and he sent multiple quotes with the breakdown of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I emailed Mike for a quote. Lots to think about and consider. But I guess that's part of the fun.

TauPhi111

WKR
I'm sorry I didn't keep a spreadsheet of all my parts and costs, but here's what I put together:

Savage 111 action
Criterion 260 AI barrel, 26", light varmint contour, .5/8x24 threads, 7.5 twist
NSS barrel nut and recoil lug
Tactical Bolt knob
Timney trigger
Boyds Pro-varmint stock with adjustable comb
PTG Bottom metal with Accurate Mag 30-06 mag (I load my rounds with CEB MTH MAX bullets so I need the long action)
Precision Armament M11 brake
EGW 20 MOA Rail
ADM QD scope mount
Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 6-24x50 FFP with EBR-2C Mil reticle

Could have put it together myself, but I had my smith do it since this is a precision gun and I didn't want to mess anything up. It's glass and pillar bedded in the stock. I shoot 140 grain ELD-M just under 3000 FPS and 130 grain CEB MTH right at 3100 FPS. Shoots both 1/2 MOA or better. Haven't killed anything with it yet, but I'm hoping to take it to Wyoming for antelope this year.

I will say this about budgeting: you will always spend more than what you think. I've built a number of custom/semi-custom guns and I always spending more than I intend.

Last edited: