Critters and Such on the Grand Mesa

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
Think units like 42, 43, 52, 421, 521...what sort of critters do I need to be concerned with in these areas? I'm looking at the end of archery elk season and being anywhere from 9000-11000 feet. I'll not be headed to the Raggeds or anywhere like that.

What sort of pests/predators do I need to think about? It looks like the black bear harvest isn't particularly high there recently, but obviously they can be around. Mountain lions? Rattlesnakes? Tarantulas? Sasquatch? Meth Heads? Any other camp raiders or troublemakers? I will be mostly truck camping and will do my best to keep a clean camp.

I've talked to the CPW officers in these areas but this was one topic I didn't ask about. I do plan on carrying my Shield 9, well, just because.

We saw a few bears there a few years ago but just carried our bows. 1 was on a dead cow (moo) carcass and had it buried. I smelled the cow before I saw the bear. He didn't like us there too much and tried scaring us but that is it.

Never saw any snakes or big bugs.

I would sleep with 1 eye open. One night we had a bear in camp, 1 evening a mountain lion not far from camp, another night a skunk was snooping around, and while out hunting one day chipmunks invaded the wall tent

OP
3darcher2

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
I would sleep with 1 eye open. One night we had a bear in camp, 1 evening a mountain lion not far from camp, another night a skunk was snooping around, and while out hunting one day chipmunks invaded the wall tent

I realize that there's a good chance of getting skunked on this trip, but I don't want to get "skunked"! :rolleyes:

20 years ago in AZ on my one elk hunt, my buddy was cow calling and heard a branch crack behind him. Once the black bear realized what it was, he skedaddled right quick. I'm more concerned about them at camp. Lions are the one thing I haven't been exposed to so I don't know what to think about them.

I saw a lot of bear claw sign on trees last year but was more worried about the small bull moose I walked up on than anything else.

OP
3darcher2

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
Your biggest danger is probably going to be getting run over by four wheelers,, or shot by muzzleloaders.
Should arrive last day of muzzleloader, so I only need to avoid the poachers while hunting.

I'm well aware that ATVs can be an issue and I'd be lying if I said that ATVs didn't concern me as far as hunting success. Still, at 56 and with a bad wheel, I'm not crazy enough to pack in 5 or 6 miles solo to avoid quads for my first western trip in 20 years. I'm planning on staying away from the designated FS motorized trails as much as possible. Again, I can't control the lawbreakers, but I'm counting on most of those guys not getting more than a few hundred yards from the quad. I've got about 3-4 spots picked out all a few miles apart and while I don't expect them to give away the farm, the wardens both said that my plans sound reasonable as far as giving myself a chance.

DEHusker

WKR
Reports of the occasional grizzly will surface from these units from time to time. The GFP keeps that on the downlow but it's legit. Lots of black bears. Same for lions.

Jethro

WKR
Yeah cows through camp can be an issue.

I know a guy that got chased by moo cows up on the Mesa. He was surprised how fast they can move through timber. We had a longhorn steer block our path back to camp one night. We made a wide loop around it. He never moved, but had a mean look on his face

sacox31s

FNG
Most dangerous thing in those units are ATVs, cows, sheep, sheep dogs, and ATVs. If you go to those units rent or own an ATV.

Mustang06

FNG
I've hunted 421&521 the past couple years. Was there last year in the latter part of archery.

As said previously, rogue cattle were ridiculous. We actually built a "corral" around our camp area with down wood because the cattle don't give a $#!/ and WILL trample your camp.

We were heading in one drainage on ATVs one morning and we came upon a guys camp that was destroyed...big cow still standing on what was left of his tent. It got Tangled in the tent and destroyed it.

And even in the woods...we darn near got trampled one day when some cattle spooked from an ATV and came charging thru the woods where we were coming out.

It kinda ruined our whole trip honestly. I won't be going back there in the future for archery...just rifle season when the cattle are all moved down out of the high country.

Best luck!

njdoxie

WKR
As said previously, rogue cattle were ridiculous. We actually built a "corral" around our camp area with down wood because the cattle don't give a $#!/ and WILL trample your camp.

I know it sucked for you, but you make it sound really funny....I always thought cows were more considerate than to trample your camp and crap on it...who knew

Mustang06

FNG
I know it sucked for you, but you make it sound really funny....I always thought cows were more considerate than to trample your camp and crap on it...who knew
Oh, we laughed a lot. What else could you do? But I really felt bad for that other guys camp... probably a thousand bucks worth of gear totally mangled.
Not to hijack the thread, bu
One day me and my buddy were WAAAAAYYY back in this one north face of dark timber and got into some fresh elk sign. We slipped up to the edge of a small opening around a spring and there it was....a bedded elk! We watched thru our binos, range finders, and stalked up on that thing to about 35 yards, then the dreaded wind swirl, and it stands up. It was a big ass cow...not cow elk, just a cow! And that thing was the EXACT same color as an elk. Me and my buddy both laughed, and after a week of hard hunting we joked about how hard it would be to pack out a cow🤣.

The Mulie in my avatar was taken from 421. Saw plenty of sign, but only a couple actual bears. Had some lion tracks in the snow one day but no sightings. The ATV'ers are no joke. Your Shield will work just fine...

gbflyer

WKR
Mosquitos big enough to stand flat footed and screw a turkey up there. That will be your biggest critter issue. Bring a fishing rod. Lots of lakes, some they drain, others are pretty fishy.