Critique my layers

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Id love to get some feedback from guys/gals with experience here. I’ll be heading to Idaho, in the south of the panhandle region for a September elk hunt. I feel like I have a layering system that will work for me, but I’d be curious to hear from guys with experience in this area/time of year. Here’s what I’m currently thinking:

Base layer: light synthetic hoody/sunshirt
Mid layer: kuiu strong fleece 210
Insulation: Sitka ambient jacket
Rain/wind: pnuma 3l rain jacket
Pants: kryptek alios
Rain pants: marmot precip
Misc: gloves, beanie, synthetic long johns

We’ll be truck camping, possibly spiking out for a day or two, but no extended backpacking. I’ve been happy with a setup like this for September in central Oregon, but have never been to Idaho this time of year, so unsure about temperature/rain.

So, my specific questions:
Do I need a puffy (down/synthetic)? My plan was to use the ambient and rain jacket for cold/stationary times. Ambient and light baselayer was enough for me this spring on a couple 30-40 degree days for reference.
Do I need rain pants? I always carry gaiters with me, and the past several years I haven’t used rain pants (although last year I would’ve loved to have em!)

Appreciate any insight or recommendations from y’all!

Geewhiz

WKR
I don't know the specifics on a lot of the pieces you mentioned but ill give you a quick rundown on what I wear for a september hunt. Tops I always have a half zip mid weight merino long sleeve on. Most every day I have a shell in my pack and some days ill take a puffy, some days I wont. Bottoms 90% of the time I wear kuiu attacks, no long johns. I dont wear gators in sept unless I have a good reason to. The good thing about truck camping is you can check the weather daily and plan accordingly one day at a time. I dont ever bring rain pants. This is for montana. YMMV

Outwest

WKR
Looks good but a puffy is a non-negotiable for me. I run pretty cold but still, it’s lightweight cold insurance and I’d bet you’ll use it more than you think.

I think you have a solid set up. Personally I like having a down jacket as my insulation. I’ve never used an ambient so I don’t know how warm it is. I don’t think I could go without my Grumman. I love that thing. If nothing else it’s great to wear around camp at night.

As for rain pants, you probably don’t need to pack them around everyday, especially if you have gaiters on. I don’t always wear gaiters all the time (mostly just in snow) and have regretted not packing rain pants in a surprise rain storm. The bulls were bugling and it was game on so I kept hunting instead of huddling under a tree and got soaked.

junitas03

FNG
I agree - solid setup. But, I would (absolutely) add a down jacket.

I ran a very similar setup last year in September (10k elevation, warm days, cold evenings / mornings) - backpack hunt, not a truck hunt. We did spike a few days. And, regardless I had a down jacket in my pack at all times.
The Ambient is excellent - I run that over a SS or LS base layer on active mornings, and it does work as an insulation piece. But, it's inferior to a down piece from a temp. insulation and re-warming POV, especially if it wets out (sweat or rain).

In a worst case survival scenario - you're going to want down on your person.

At less than 12oz. (size large) the Grumman or Grumman Lite could save your life, and / or make your mornings a bit more enjoyable before you send it. If you are worried about the weight - snag one of these and use the down jacket as a pillow https://zpacks.com/products/medium-pillow.

I always pack rain pants unless the forecast is bone dry. Since you're truck hunting - bring em'. Better to be prepared then not.

Dennis

WKR
Looks pretty good! I always have rain pants with me in camp or truck just in case. They were needed a few times in Wyoming and Colorado on September hunts.

OP
N

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate all the feedback guys! I’ve been considering a down puffy, think I’ll try to grab something before this fall.

And yes, since truck camping, I will have totes of extras and “nice to haves”. If I can get a read on the weather I’ll adjust accordingly. The rain pants are a new addition this year, but will (hopefully) live in the truck.

At less than 12oz. (size large) the Grumman or Grumman Lite could save your life, and / or make your mornings a bit more enjoyable before you send it. If you are worried about the weight - snag one of these and use the down jacket as a pillow https://zpacks.com/products/medium-pillow.

I always pack rain pants unless the forecast is bone dry. Since you're truck hunting - bring em'. Better to be prepared then not.
Junitas03, the gruman is on my short list for a puffy-if I’m gonna spend decent money on this layer I’ll pony up for something quality and long lasting (and the hydrophobic down is intriguing). Would you suggest making the investment in a quality, hydrophobic down jacket, or would a cheap down puffy (plus rain jacket) be adequate?

junitas03

FNG
Appreciate all the feedback guys! I’ve been considering a down puffy, think I’ll try to grab something before this fall.

And yes, since truck camping, I will have totes of extras and “nice to haves”. If I can get a read on the weather I’ll adjust accordingly. The rain pants are a new addition this year, but will (hopefully) live in the truck.

Junitas03, the gruman is on my short list for a puffy-if I’m gonna spend decent money on this layer I’ll pony up for something quality and long lasting (and the hydrophobic down is intriguing). Would you suggest making the investment in a quality, hydrophobic down jacket, or would a cheap down puffy (plus rain jacket) be adequate?
I'm a HUGE proponent of the whole "buy once, cry once" mentality. I firmly believe you get what you pay for.

All said, almost all down jackets from hunting brands in that price bucket ($300 - $400) are relatively equal. KUIU's Super Down PRO and Sitka's Kelvin Lite Down (which they don't make anymore) and SG's Grumman - are all great. Rain Jackets, same bucket and feedback - Sitka's Dew Point in Subalpine is currently on sale.

And, they're better quality and durability than the outdoor brands IMO (Patagonia, Arcteryx and Mountain Hardwear), plus those brands are pushing >$400 nowadays. And, the fit / quality is inconsistent.

I'd give the edge to SG, and I support SG for three reasons, 1) customer service 2) quality 3) lifetime warranty - I wore an SG Cirque Lite hard, and had large abrasions on the chest and elbows, I emailed SG's customer service team and they sent me a replacement, even though it was mostly normal wear and tear.

I can't say enough about the guys at SG - kind, polite, genuine and always willing to help. So for me, personal preference, I like supporting companies / brands like Stone Glacier. Plus, their gear flat out performs.

Long way to say, I'd buy once cry once. I've made the mistake of not doing that and spent more money over a period of time than just once. Buying sh*t on sale because it was a "great deal" only to be disappointed later, not liking the fit, etc. Except for the Sitka Dew Point, it's on sale and if you don't mind the Subalpine - it's a solid rain jacket. But, if you're going to buy full price - SG is where I'd go.

OP
N

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Long way to say, I'd buy once cry once. I've made the mistake of not doing that and spent more money over a period of time than just once. Buying sh*t on sale because it was a "great deal" only to be disappointed later, not liking the fit, etc. Except for the Sitka Dew Point, it's on sale and if you don't mind the Subalpine - it's a solid rain jacket. But, if you're going to buy full price - SG is where I'd go.
That sounds like a lot of my experiences-thanks again for taking the time to respond. I’m set for rain gear this season, otherwise would that would probably be my choice. I don’t mind investing in quality gear that lasts, and I’ve heard basically nothing but positive reviews on the Grumman. Plus like you said, stone glacier cs is phenomenal-I’d buy from them just because of how they took care of me before.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I consider my Ambient active insulation, part of layering system, something that can be interchanged with mid weight T or heavyweight hoody.

Static insulation, Kelvin Lite Down or Down WS, is a piece I consider to keep me warm/not freezing to death, in 911 situation. What I do change is the weight of the puffy depending on season(Sept/Oct/Nov). That being said, always have a puffy in my pack.

Rain gear is always with me…. Sitka Dew point packs down to size of a Nalgene and more often than not, I use as a wind barrier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk