Critique My Gear for August NWT Dall Hunt

Hey guys, I leave August 20th for my Dall hunt in the NWT with Gana River Outfitters. It's a horseback hunt, so a different ball game than a traditional backpack hunt. I was hoping to get some feedback on my gear setup from all the experienced sheep hunters on here.

Kifaru Rekoning Pack, debating on getting a lid for it just for ease of throwing my puffy layers or rain gear in the lid for quick access.
Tikka 6,5 prc 20" barrel shooting factory eldx, or eldm. Both shoot great. Maven RS 1.2 for the scope in UM rings, hopefully my Rokstock comes in.
Base Layers, 1 Black Ovis merino long sleeve, 1 Kuiu Peleton 118 short sleeve, 1 Kuiu 120 merino zip off bottoms, 2 pairs Kuiu boxers, 1 xoskin boxer. 1 Kuiu neck gaiter. 3 pairs of socks.
Mid layer, 1 Sitka Core Lightweight Hoodie, 1 Marsupial Gear Suntech Hoodie, 1 Kuiu Strong Fleece 210, 2 pairs Sitka Traverse pants.
Outer layer, Kryptek down jacket, I may upgrade this cause the fabric is pretty shinny, although I dont know if thats something to worry about. Kings down pants, dont know if they are really needed but if we have to siwash out on the mountain it'd be nice to have them. Kuiu gaiters.
Rain gear, Kuiu Chugach jacket and Yukon pants.
Kuiu Kenai packable gloves, Kuiu leather palmed gloves. If the Kenai are too much I can swap them out for a lightweight merino glove.
Sleep system, WM Ponderoso MF 15* bag with over fill, Thermarest Neo Air Xlite NXT, Exped pillow.
Optics, EL 10x42, Leica 2800.com rangefinder, ATS 20-60X65 spotter, Tricer tripod and head. The spotter may get left at base camp, but it would be great to be able to watch the sheep.
Misc. Lightweight knife, Petzel Tikka headlamp, Zoleo sat communicator, Black Diamond Trail Back trekking poles, Spartan bipod, wind checker. Rite in the Rain book and pen, Iphone 13 pro max for pictures, battery bank, 1 liter nalgene and a 3 liter bladder.

I'm probably forgetting something but that should about cover it. Is there anything you guys think I should drop out of this list or add to it? Anywhere to save a bit of weight? Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone this season on your hunts!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would put a lid on it, and maybe consider a larger pack. I took the Dall on my trip up there which is significantly larger than the reckoning and I was maxed out with a sheep cape and some meat along with my gear.

Reckoning looks like a 5980 cc bag. That is plenty for a horseback hunt. Water is everywhere up there. You don't need a 3L bladder. Nalgene bottle and a 2 liter bladder is plenty. Dont forget to pack a bottle of Canadian Club, Crown Royal, etc. for when you get back to base camp. Harold and team run a first class operation...you are in for an incredible adventure. Please do a writeup when you get back. Good luck

OP
ReddingArcher
I would put a lid on it, and maybe consider a larger pack. I took the Dall on my trip up there which is significantly larger than the reckoning and I was maxed out with a sheep cape and some meat along with my gear.
I'll get the lid ordered right now and kick around getting a larger pack. Its a horseback assisted hunt, so I dont know that we'll have to carry camp on our backs too much, other than for a couple nights if we wanted to spike out. Thanks for the suggestions!

OP
ReddingArcher
Reckoning looks like a 5980 cc bag. That is plenty for a horseback hunt. Water is everywhere up there. You don't need a 3L bladder. Nalgene bottle and a 2 liter bladder is plenty. Dont forget to pack a bottle of Canadian Club, Crown Royal, etc. for when you get back to base camp. Harold and team run a first class operation...you are in for an incredible adventure. Please do a writeup when you get back. Good luck
I'll do a write up for sure! I plan to write every day just to look back on later.

mulecreek

FNG
My initial impression is you have too many clothes. Since its horseback it may not matter but seems like overkill. Regardless of horseback or backpack you will spend more time sweating than you will shivering. Would recommend not worrying about the spotter or the tripod. Guide will certainly have both. Bino's on tripod for dalls are not needed, IMO. Spotting dalls is easy. It not like picking apart a mountainside looking for a mule deer buck. Once you spot them, out comes the spotter to see if its legal. Ram also isnt going anywhere so both you and your guide will have ample time to get eye strain looking through one spotter.

Since its a horseback hunt, the tent situation might be different, but if its going to be a 2- or 3-man tent for the both of you, then ditch a bunch of clothes and bring your own tent.

Best of luck to you. Bet you have a hell of an adventure.

Shiny down no big deal

I didn't take a spotter and I didn't regret it. Sharing with guide was just fine
Definitely have your own tent

OP
ReddingArcher
My initial impression is you have too many clothes. Since its horseback it may not matter but seems like overkill. Regardless of horseback or backpack you will spend more time sweating than you will shivering. Would recommend not worrying about the spotter or the tripod. Guide will certainly have both. Bino's on tripod for dalls are not needed, IMO. Spotting dalls is easy. It not like picking apart a mountainside looking for a mule deer buck. Once you spot them, out comes the spotter to see if its legal. Ram also isnt going anywhere so both you and your guide will have ample time to get eye strain looking through one spotter.

Since its a horseback hunt, the tent situation might be different, but if its going to be a 2- or 3-man tent for the both of you, then ditch a bunch of clothes and bring your own tent.

Best of luck to you. Bet you have a hell of an adventure.
I think you're right about too many clothes now that I'm looking at it more closely. I will cut some of my gear out. Thanks!

Reckoning with lid went on several DIY 10-12 day backpack stone sheep hunts in BC and a guided Dall hunt with Canol in the NWT. Also many DIY caribou and moose hunts in BC, plus guided caribou in NWT & Nunavut. With the lid and careful gear selection it was large enough for me and all the meat I could pack per trip.

Looks pretty good and comprehensive. I would drop the puffy pants and add a stocking cap. It has been my experience that wearing my rain gear on those chilly mornings when you aren't doing a lot of hiking helps retain body heat. As for the hat, I sleep cold so it has come in handy for that but also just an added layer for my head and ears in the rain. I agree with adding the lid as I use the heck out of the added, easily accesible storage. I run Mystery Ranch so I can take the lid as a seperate pack for the quick scouting missions.
Good luck and enjoy

OP
ReddingArcher
Looks pretty good and comprehensive. I would drop the puffy pants and add a stocking cap. It has been my experience that wearing my rain gear on those chilly mornings when you aren't doing a lot of hiking helps retain body heat. As for the hat, I sleep cold so it has come in handy for that but also just an added layer for my head and ears in the rain. I agree with adding the lid as I use the heck out of the added, easily accesible storage. I run Mystery Ranch so I can take the lid as a seperate pack for the quick scouting missions.
Good luck and enjoy
Definitely grabbing the stocking cap, actually ordered a new one from Kifaru yesterday when I ordered the lid. Thanks for the suggestion about dropping the puffy pants, I may drop them. I have been looking at historical weather averages and it doesnt seem like its getting crazy cold that time of year, but anything can happen.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I disagree on having too many clothes. I'd bring anything and everything you want and pack it in a big Yeti duffle. If you spike out from your horse camp then you can cut your gear down a bit.

Hell, I'd pack an extra pair of boots, a Helinox camp chair and some really comfortable camp shoes if it was me.

If this was an all backpack hunt then I'd say cut down your gear list considerably but if it'll fit in a Yeti duffle or something similar I'd take it. They work awesome for a top pack on a horse and you might as well take some extra amenities and be very warm and comfortable.

MDM23

FNG
Definitely take your puffy pants. I’ve done a number of hunts in the far north and wore them every hunt. Three years ago I hunted the sheep opener in the NWT and it was cold with rain and sleet, you just never know in the north. I’d take plenty of clothes and gear on a horse hunt to ensure you are comfortable no matter what the weather. If it was a backpack hunt that’d be different but why not be comfortable.

idig4au

WKR
Definitely take puffy pants, I’ve hunted up there twice about that time and had snow both times. I would drop the spotter, more pain than what they are worth while traveling and given giuides will have one . Do you have camp shoes? Have plenty of dry sacs for packing gear/balancing weight on horses. Also, I take a couple changes of camp clothes on every trip as nothing worse than sitting in main camp in stinky hunting clothes especially if you finish up early. Travel clothes can only get you so far.

Clothing, I would take one lighter pant and one heavier pant for that time of year. I’m a big advocate of soft shell vests with some wind resistance as well on horseback hunts to keep core warm while riding. Something like the guide or jetstream vest.

Make sure you havev your US custom form filled out for rifle prior to leaving the states.

Are you bringing cape/horns back with you? Have a second duffle bag packed for this. I used 35L dry sack for cape and stuff dirty clothes/boots around horns. US customs can be a pain so I always had some satisfaction with them rummaging around my 10 day used underwear infused with mountain house chili Mac.

Edmonton was easier to travel through when you fly up. Avoid Air Canada. United and Delta always treated me well. Look at flying first class as checked baggage is free and at higher weights. Often will not be much more when considering all the excess baggage fees if flying economy.

Have fun. Gana River team puts on a great hunt. Many fond memories

OP
ReddingArcher
Definitely take puffy pants, I’ve hunted up there twice about that time and had snow both times. I would drop the spotter, more pain than what they are worth while traveling and given giuides will have one . Do you have camp shoes? Have plenty of dry sacs for packing gear/balancing weight on horses. Also, I take a couple changes of camp clothes on every trip as nothing worse than sitting in main camp in stinky hunting clothes especially if you finish up early. Travel clothes can only get you so far.

Clothing, I would take one lighter pant and one heavier pant for that time of year. I’m a big advocate of soft shell vests with some wind resistance as well on horseback hunts to keep core warm while riding. Something like the guide or jetstream vest.

Make sure you havev your US custom form filled out for rifle prior to leaving the states.

Are you bringing cape/horns back with you? Have a second duffle bag packed for this. I used 35L dry sack for cape and stuff dirty clothes/boots around horns. US customs can be a pain so I always had some satisfaction with them rummaging around my 10 day used underwear infused with mountain house chili Mac.

Edmonton was easier to travel through when you fly up. Avoid Air Canada. United and Delta always treated me well. Look at flying first class as checked baggage is free and at higher weights. Often will not be much more when considering all the excess baggage fees if flying economy.

Have fun. Gana River team puts on a great hunt. Many fond memories
I'll take my crocs as camp shoes. I do have a few dry bags, I'll check and see exactly how many though. The change of clothes for camp is a great idea. How are the bugs that time of year, is a head net needed? I plan on bringing the cape and horns back, I got a rubbermaid tote for them I was planning to bring.

I'll take my crocs as camp shoes. I do have a few dry bags, I'll check and see exactly how many though. The change of clothes for camp is a great idea. How are the bugs that time of year, is a head net needed? I plan on bringing the cape and horns back, I got a rubbermaid tote for them I was planning to bring.

Walmart sells a cheap pair that is about half the weight of crocs. They don’t have the back strap but some 550 cord works great if you are using them for stream crossings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

cbeard64

WKR
I have been on two Yukon horseback hunts and like your gear list just fine. That said, I always basically treated my gear list more like it was a backpack hunt anyway and went light. I think you will find that much of what folks think are “extras” that one can take on a horseback hunt ended up being left at base camp anyway. Guides are still pretty picky about not overloading the horses with hunter gear and (just like a backpack hunt) you don’t want to be toting a bunch of stuff in your pack in any event.

Mostly, I think you have too many clothes on your list. But I would add the pack lid.

idig4au

WKR
I didn’t have many issues with bugs and didn’t have to use a head net.

Traveling with multiple bags and gun case is a pain, especially getting to Norman Wells with all the transfers. Been there, done that my first time up there. Suggest revisiting the tote concept. I’ve found that I can easily get by with an extra large expedition rolling duffle, and my gun case. I just pack an additional soft duffle bag that I can use as a 3rd checked bag for cape and horns for return trip home. You can get at Walmart and they don’t take up much space if left folded up.

As others have said, extra gear will be left behind at base camp. No reason to pack the kitchen sink up there. Some of the horseback hunts I’ve been on, I was limited to 50 lbs in weight. That is plenty considering it doesn’t include food and camp.