Crispi Shimek GTX Review ***Updated 01/20/24***

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am switching up my boot game a little this year and trying out the new Crispi Shimek GTX. I have been wearing the same boot since 2016 so trying something different should be interesting!

So far I have done some training hikes on a small mountain close to my house and I am pleasantly surprised that they have needed virtually no break in period, which is quite the opposite of what I am used to. I wear a size 13 in every kind of footwear and these are no different and fit very well. I wear a Darn Tough Full Cushion Boot Sock anytime I am out hunting so this review will be consistent with that. Being insulated, I am a little concerned that they may be a touch on the warm side (my previous boots were uninsulated) for the early season outings and will make sure to comment on that if its issue.

I should have a full review up around the end of November after I get some hunts under them this fall. They should see plenty of backcountry mountain hunts paired with alot of miles chasing upland birds in the sage/cattails.

***Update 01/20/24*** Crispi Shimek GTX Review

IMG_5207.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BDRam16

WKR
Curious how they do in the mountains. I also thought about snagging them for upland this season.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
How much/type of insulation?

Size 13? Holy smoly Brock, you should take up snowshoeing, and save the $ on the gear

prm

WKR
Looks to be somewhat related to the Kenai with the main difference being insulated. Look forward to your review.

Kadoun

FNG
I am switching up my boot game a little this year and trying out the new Crispi Shimek GTX. I have been wearing the same boot since 2016 so trying something different should be interesting!

So far I have done some training hikes on a small mountain close to my house and I am pleasantly surprised that they have needed virtually no break in period, which is quite the opposite of what I am used to. I wear a size 13 in every kind of footwear and these are no different and fit very well. I wear a Darn Tough Full Cushion Boot Sock anytime I am out hunting so this review will be consistent with that. Being insulated, I am a little concerned that they may be a touch on the warm side (my previous boots were uninsulated) for the early season outings and will make sure to comment on that if its issue.

I should have a full review up around the end of November after I get some hunts under them this fall. They should see plenty of backcountry mountain hunts paired with alot of miles chasing upland birds in the sage/cattails.

View attachment 594288
Have you had a chance to learn enough about them. Just ordered some last weekend and feeling hopeful

View attachment 594288
I just bought a pair as well. I'm wearing Crispi Nevadas now and using Monaco GTX for light hiking and around town.
I'm looking forward to your experience with these. As I use mine, I'll post as well. Good luck with them. They do feel awesome out of the box!

Just finished a 3 day winter camping trip and wore my new Crispi Shimek Boots for the entire time. They are insulated with 400 grams of Thinsulate.
I conditioned them with the boot creme Crispi sells before I took them out for their first usage.
Temps ranged from 45F during midday to 27-28F at night and early mornings. Sitting by the fire, these boots were actually a bit too warm and I kept moving my feet under my chair or wide of the the fire ring so as to keep the feet cooler. If I sat for a while basically motionless with my feet 5ft or a bit more away from the fire, they began to feel cool, slightly chilly even.
I'd say after this test, the boots are very comfy once they start breaking in, the ABS system is definitely a bit firm around the ankles and the flex rating of 3 is spot on regarding stiffness/flexibility. I went for about a 2 mile hike with them and although more break in is required, they were pretty good for the first outing.
The boots are warm enough when you're moving around or walking. I would think that wearing them glassing for a longer period of time while sitting idle might result in chilly toes at some point. Have to wait and see.
I was overall very pleased with them over the 3 days and am looking forward to putting them through a real test once I get into the heavy duty hiking/backpacking this spring.
My boots are size 11 and I wore a thicker cold weather merino wool sock so you can gauge the thickness as a comparison. My regular sneaker/shoe is size 10.5.Shimek Crispi Boots.jpg

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
My season just wrapped up, boots were awesome. They are in great shape and I am looking forward to wearing them again next season.

Brock, How is the volume and width? I have narrow, low volume feet. My Kenetrek Mtn Extreme are 14 B width.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brock, How is the volume and width? I have narrow, low volume feet. My Kenetrek Mtn Extreme are 14 B width.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I am similar to you, I wear a 13 and my foot is narrow/low volume. No issues with these being "too roomy".

***Update 01/20/24*** Crispi Shimek GTX Review

View attachment 594288
Brock's review is live on our homepage.

Crispi Shimek GTX Review
Great review