Creek Crossing Shoes

JohnnyB

WKR
This may apply to more than spring bear, but this is where I typically encounter the issue. With creeks running higher than usual this year due to heavy snowmelt, I found myself misjudging a crossing or two and having water over my gaiters ( not waterproof but generally ok if I am quick enough) and drenching my boots and insoles. I may bring along a secondary shoe for this purpose next year. Any recommendations on a lightweight, quick drying shoe with good grip?

This may apply to more than spring bear, but this is where I typically encounter the issue. With creeks running higher than usual this year due to heavy snowmelt, I found myself misjudging a crossing or two and having water over my gaiters ( not waterproof but generally ok if I am quick enough) and drenching my boots and insoles. I may bring along a secondary shoe for this purpose next year. Any recommendations on a lightweight, quick drying shoe with good grip?

Crocs. They’re nice around camp too when your tired of wearing your boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have brought tough garbage bags - one for each leg - and used them many times over different years. Sometimes creeks high and I need them. Sometimes low and I don’t need or can find a tree down across the creek. Bags never ripped but even if they did spring a hole it would be minimal water getting in because it should be a relatively quick creek crossing I assume.

I’ve also read that socks can be used with good grip but never went that route (yet).

Fly fisherman also have those water proof sock liners that go up mid thigh - could also do that. And they are fairly light and grippy depending on what ya get.

I think back in the day when I was into scuba that I had the same time of neoprene sock liner bootys too but can’t really remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are ok. I have done 30 or so crossings before I tore one up (sharp rock, I think)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are various neoprene socks or booties available. Ones that have some sole reinforcement will work best for crossing rocky creek bottoms. They also work well as camp boots. They are light to carry but get wet and take time to dry. It makes them no good for camp boots on a day you used them to cross a creek.

Crocs are great but can be a little bulky if you're low on pack space. Another upside is they are great camp shoes. I just ordered a cheap pair of the water shoes off Amazon so we'll how those work out.

If it's just a quick crossing or two the crocs work really well.

If I'm in and out of water constantly the chota tundra hippies and a hiking style wading boot. I live in those for moose hunting.

I used some Frogg Toggs stockingfoot hip waders without the wading boots this spring. But I already had them. Thinking on trying some Crocs or similar as my feet are tender in my old age and those rocky creek bottoms hurt.

The old lightweight el cheapo WallyWorld special, Crocs. Gets the job done without the Gucci label.
These. I used the wally world knock offs last September for multiple large creek crossings and they worked great.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

What a pain in the ass to take off boots to install waders then take them off. I used to sew hip waders out of thin coated nylon to fit OVER hunting boots for occasional stream crossings. They weigh nothing and who cares if they develop a new pinhole every time they get used - a stream crossing lasts only a minute. It’s enough to keep boots dry for knee deep water crossings and only takes a minute to take off and your boots and socks are dry. A lot of stream crossings are down low coming or going into a hunt area - stash these after the crossing so you don’t carry them all day.

Dawgs are the best. Lighter than crocks, and better protection. Pair with socks and they can double as stalking mocs.

Back