Crampons?

ncstewart

WKR
Move if this is wrong section to post

What crampons y’all people using?
Got a late Kodiak hunt and thinking about packing them.
Any opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTFJohn

WKR
Unless your hiking ice fields your probably better off with kahtola micro spikes.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

Right company, wrong product.

Microspikes are great for flat sidewalks but tend to come off in rough terrain or thick brush especially when packing weight. The K-10 hiking crampons are a game changer in steep, wet, or muddy conditions; you won't find me without them on many hunts after Oct 1.

SWOHTR

WKR

Microspikes are great for flat sidewalks but tend to come off in rough terrain or thick brush especially when packing weight. The K-10 hiking crampons are a game changer in steep, wet, or muddy conditions; you won't find me without them on many hunts after Oct 1.
+1

TaperPin

WKR
SMC hinged crampons aren’t made any more, but are readily available on eBay. Solid, simple, work well with normal hunting boots. At least one elk and big mulie bit the dirt because when outfitters and other hunters were headed out of the high country I was headed up. Lol

2B5D94DE-1ED0-4945-90F3-F19FC193BFD2.jpeg

Based on quite a lot of personal experience, I'd take crampons if/when hunting high after October 30th, but only if you're familiar with crampon technique. In-step crampons would be better if you have little or no experience climbing or descending with 10 or 12 pointers.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@WTFJohn has a good point. I have micro spikes for hiking trails or tundra in Colorado but that’s hard pack ice and dirt. For softer sloppy stuff those hiking crampons look like they would do better.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m also going to Kodiak, I’ll be taking a pair of grivel aluminum crampons. Some lightweight model. I also have a pair of shoes he camp ones that stone glacier used to sell which are equally as light/quality.

I’d personally grab a light weight set from grivel, black diamond, petzl, camp. Whichever ones you can get the cheapest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 12
OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR

Thanks. Gonna pick up a set to be safe.
Good luck this fall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk