CPAP on Hunting Trip

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my machine yesterday. Its gonna take a while to get used to it for sure. I have an outfitted elk in mid September and they say they have a generator in camp they run for a while mornings and evenings. Anyone have tips on a rechargeable power pack that won't break the bank?

I'm trying to figure out if i can run one off of milwaukee tool batteries with an adapter. Did you get a portable cpap or a standard bedside unit?

OP
CHWine

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Bedside. The tech told me its a new generation EPAP. I'm looking forward to getting into the swing of it. I haven't slept well for years. My sleep test showed 70 sleep interuptions per hour. The threshold is around 15 or so, it was an easy decision. My wife been trying for years for me to get some help.

rayporter

WKR
a pair of deer feeder batteries will run a cpap for 7 hours for 2 nights. if you can put a charge on them they will go for a week.
a battery jump starter that is new [ one of the big ones from harbor freight] will run a cpap for 3 nights.

SWOHTR

WKR
Use the "search" function, "CPAP," and you'll find a long thread on this subject. I would post a direct link but am unable to on this computer.

If you can drive to camp, buddy of mine brought his own invertor generator and extension cords, you could hardly hear it at night, a couple gallons of gas lasted for 10 days.

Titan

WKR
portable power station is the way to go. A bluetti 256wh will run about $130 and run that for 2 nights easy. A juptiek 1200wh runs about $250 and would power that for nearly a week most likely.

Check your power supply cord. You can save some inversion loss by running it directly off 12v if possible. Any heat/humidifier will also suck a lot of power.

mjh

FNG
Jackery 1000 4 or 5 nights. Turn off heat and humidity. Recharge with outfitters generator.

If you can afford the mini travel machine spring for it—it uses less energy than a full feature machine.

I’ve thought about the mini and have the paperwork for it but have not purchased.

I have 2 100wt solar panels with the Jackery IF I need then. Have not used them but for testing.

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
If they're bringing a generator then it's really pretty simple. Pick a battery pack that will run the cpap on 12v that fits the budget. I bought an Aimtom brand 155 watt hour pack on Amazon, link doesn't work anymore, but it gets me 3 nights. If you can charge it a little/top it off every day then you're good to go indefinitely.

Definitely dont use heat/humidifer and get the 12v power cord if available.

Btw, I'll just charge mine off the truck during the day (whether driving around or not, never had an issue discharging the truck) and can go as long as I want that way.

Lambo

FNG
This is the same situation same. I recharge the battery pack each day while driving to and from hunting about 90+ minus. The fully batter charge gets me about 1.5 nights. Since this is a pain in the butt and no feasible for full remote hunt (backpacking) I got the mouth guard system this year. It works but it hurts my jaw terribly, to the extent I am not sure I can use it. Sadly they are expensive and not covered by insurance when I already have CPAP machine. Good luck!

Look at the smaller portable units. ResMed has a few options that are pretty small and will run off batteries. Unfortunately, it seems that most insurance companies wont help get one of the smaller units.

bmrfish

WKR
Look at the smaller portable units. ResMed has a few options that are pretty small and will run off batteries. Unfortunately, it seems that most insurance companies wont help get one of the smaller units.

This. Portable travel unit and they make batteries for them. I can get 3 nights on one battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hondo

WKR
I got a portable power station (Goal Zero 1000) along with solar panels to charge it during the day for my bedside cpap and it was overkill. I never used the solar panels and only had to charge the power station once a week with the camp generator. That included using the power station to charge 2 phones, 2 tablets, and 2 headlamps daily.

If I was gearing up now, I would go with a smaller and more portable power station in the 500w range. Look into a DC adapter for your cpap as it will drain far less of your battery than with the AC cord. If you can go without a dehumidifier, that will also extend your battery.

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the freedom cpap battery. You can get 3-4 days of running all night on it. Then you can charge it off the generator. It’s made for cpap machines