Coyote Katsu!

TheGDog

WKR
Welp, when I took a yote 11-25-2023... my 16yo son asked me if we could take some of the meat home, so he could try to cook it.

So that day, I leaned in nice and close, and used my sniffer (since Daddy's the cook at home) and since this particular yote didn't smell nasty like some can... I was Ok with it, so we cut off a hind leg, so he'd have a rump to work with.

When we got home that night, I supervised him deboning that leg.

He told his plan was to do a Coyote Katsu.

At any rate, I suggested he right away, after carefully shaving-off silver-skin, and vicera, to put it in a ziploc, with OliveOil and minced garlic, then whatever other robust spicing ingredients he also wanted to add.

This PM he decided to cook it. Cover in flour (had to substitute some Tempura batter mix we had), then into egg, then into Panko.

Fried in half OliveOil/half Vegetable oil.

I'm surprised to say... it turned out damn tasty! Hmmph!

20231204_175520.jpg

Last edited:

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I have some friends in upstate NY that run dogs on coyotes all winter and they eat them like venison. They thought I was crazy when I told them I’ve never eaten a coyote. I’ve heard of people grinding it with venison to make burger but I might have to try it. Definitely won’t be on a ripe dog though. I can’t believe how bad some of them stink.

Wrench

WKR
You can swing by my pelt freezer around February 15th and I'll have enough to keep you fed all year. Just leave me the hides.....the rest is yours.

The fried coyote looks interesting and tasty. I have eaten mountain lion and leopard before. The leopard was better than the mountain lion. I hope to try bobcat someday and maybe even coyote. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Pic after he and I had dome. Mama even tried too, was kinda surprised by that.View attachment 637028
The fried coyote looks interesting and tasty. I have eaten mountain lion and leopard before. The leopard was better than the mountain lion. I hope to try bobcat someday and maybe even coyote. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.
Bobcat is nice! The meat kinda reminded me of turkey leg, to some degree. I remember being very taken aback and impressed by how pristine it's insides were!

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
I think part of the success was going right into marinade right away. And... the strips he cut for the Katsu... he didn't make them too thick. Told him not to make them too thick since he was frying them over a lower heat. Wanted to make sure it'd cook thru-and-thru safely.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Definitely won’t be on a ripe dog though. I can’t believe how bad some of them stink.
^^^ THIS 100%! No way in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks I'd have let the boy try it with one that's stanky.

One of the yotes I pulled from this area.. he smelt STRONG! And like... when I went back there the next week or so... I was surprised that the carcass didn't seem very picked-over at all. Looked like only the insects made a dent in it.

t_carlson

WKR
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

If you like it, more power to you! I can't stomach the thought, myself. Too many doe tags out there to start eating coyotes.

7mm-08

WKR
I try to be open minded when people post about eating things they've killed, but alpha predators are off my list. Eating coyote or wolf is something I would not do. However, I once ate mountain lion and it was mild and very tasty. Good on the OP for executing.

Northpark

WKR
Pic after he and I had some. Mama even tried too, was kinda surprised by that.View attachment 637028
I gotta admit that looks delicious. That being said I haven’t worked up the courage to give coyote a try yet. Mtn lion, Coatimundi, porcupine, bobcat, all on the list of critters I’ve tried. The cats annd coatimundi are fantastic eating by the way and very clean animals. Maybe just maybe I’ll work up the nerve to give it a go one of these days with a coyote backstrap.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
I gotta admit that looks delicious. That being said I haven’t worked up the courage to give coyote a try yet. Mtn lion, Coatimundi, porcupine, bobcat, all on the list of critters I’ve tried. The cats annd coatimundi are fantastic eating by the way and very clean animals. Maybe just maybe I’ll work up the nerve to give it a go one of these days with a coyote backstrap.
Bobcat is Great!