Cow calls vs bugle!?😎

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
There is no one size fits all IME. I let the elk tell me what they may want on a given day. Versatility has treated me well.....
Right on. They are all speaking to each other. Lsten to what they are saying, Elknut is worth the time to listen to. He explains thoughtfully what he thinks they are saying, He has been succesful and is willing to share through his you tube videos about how elk talk.

Right on. They are all speaking to each other. Lsten to what they are saying, Elknut is worth the time to listen to. He explains thoughtfully what he thinks they are saying, He has been succesful and is willing to share through his you tube videos about how elk talk.
Yep Paul's been a great influence for me and put me on the path to killing elk. In my experience though, before you can fully understand what Paul is putting out there, you have to put yourself in to lots of different scenarios with the elk themselves and at some point that light bulb will turn on and you will know what he's talking about as you are killing elk on the way.

jpmulk

WKR
I don't think there is a black and white answer here. You mainly have to learn to read each situation. And there are times it's hard to know for sure. But if you know a bull has cows and is a herd bull vs a lone raghorn that will help dictate how you need to go at them. Time of season and terrain may play a key role as well. Study the elknut and get as many encounters as you can. I think that is the only way to learn. Make mistakes.

Yep Paul's been a great influence for me and put me on the path to killing elk. In my experience though, before you can fully understand what Paul is putting out there, you have to put yourself in to lots of different scenarios with the elk themselves and at some point that light bulb will turn on and you will know what he's talking about as you are killing elk on the way.
This is my experience exactly. I screwed up some things several times before the lightbulb turned on for me

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I like to bugle because it's loud as hell and covers distance, and there's no better feeling than getting an instant return to set the tone. But typically I try to stick with locator bugles and cow calls as you close in early in the season before the bulls have harems established, and then ramp up the aggression and challenge bugles imitating a mature herd bull trying to come steal cows later as they get protective. But I've also had both those tactics work in the opposite times of season also, just depends on the bull. A tactic that works pretty good is to keep doing whatever it is he's reacting to. If they hang up or get bored, surprise. You got a 50/50 shot he's either gonna come in on a string, or bounce.