Coues deer optics

Trails17

FNG
To all you coues deer hunters, I’m heading to Arizona in January for my first time and need some advice on optics. I’m not really worried about judging score mainly just finding deer, will 10x42 binos on a tripod be sufficient or will I need something bigger? If so what do you suggest 16x binos or a compact scope? Thanks.

BBob

WKR
I found and killed many in my early days with 10x42’s on a tripod. Bigger are better but the 10’s will find deer. Having a good spotter is nice but not needed to find and kill them. I’d upgrade binoculars before buying a scope.

I still primarily use 10x50 Leica Ultravids on a tripod for 90% of my bino spotting for coues. I always liked the field of view over the higher power binos. If you're packing in, one of the new compact spotters would be great but not needed in my opinion. Have fun chasing those coues...it's addictive!

Hunted In AZ last year for these critters. Was a blast...literally. Vortex 18x56 sit and let it all play out :)

Like mentioned above, high quality 10's will work great for a lot of your glassing. 15's / 18's are a huge plus to have with you, but not 100% necessary (I'm sure some would argue this point, and it's a totally valid argument).

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Range finding binos in your chest harness and 15s in the top of your pack, ready to go onto a tripod is the most effective I’ve seen.

rootacres

WKR
So I am not seasoned Coues hunter per se but I have chased the grey ghosts successfully. I drew a second season rifle hunt back in 2021. Picked a spot on a map and went after it solo.

My plan was similar to yours. I showed up with 3 different optics. A mid tier spotter, lower tier 15x binos and top tier 10x binos. The clarity of the 10s ended up being more important to me than the range of the 15s. By day 3 the spotter and 15s were in the truck.

Leica Geovid 10x42 rangefinding binos were the ticket for me.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
OP, depending on terrain and glassing distance you will 100% miss out on finding coues deer with 10X binos. I scout year round and between Mexico and AZ I hunt them every year.

These are animals that are closer in size and stature to a Great Dane than a Mule Deer, and their ability to blend in is unlike anything you've ever hunted. They are so much fun to try and kill!

Every single legitimate Coues hunter/guide will recommend 15's or the new 14 NL Pures. There is not a set of 18's out yet that can compete with the Swaro 15's, Meopta 15's, or the new NL Pure 14's. You also start to lose out on FOV with the current 18's which is important for finding these deer. These are what is used in the "coues community" for a reason. Also, tripod is a must.

Any other animal I'm right there with you on 10s and 12s work great. Can you still find Coues deer with 10's and 12's, absolutely! Will you miss out on animals, yes.

Range finding binos in your chest harness and 15s in the top of your pack, ready to go onto a tripod is the most effective I’ve seen.
This is why I hate this forum. I bought 12x NL Pure to do it all, and I was happy with him. Then I get on this forum, see the devices rangefinder Binos thread, and, long story short I’m gonna be spending another few thousand in optics the next year.

I think the ranging Binos on the chest and a pair of 15s in the pack seems to be the way to go.

Weldor

WKR
There's a few threads about the swaro's 14 vs 15 not much difference. Check with the guys at Outdoormans they are knowledgeable about them.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This is why I hate this forum. I bought 12x NL Pure to do it all, and I was happy with him. Then I get on this forum, see the devices rangefinder Binos thread, and, long story short I’m gonna be spending another few thousand in optics the next year.

I think the ranging Binos on the chest and a pair of 15s in the pack seems to be the way to go.
What's funny is... I have been dialed in the last few years with 8x50 range finding binos in my harness and 15's in my pack. And this year I plan to change it all up and spend way too much money.

Switching to the @huntnful special so I can get the on-board ballistics for my RF binos, my current RF binos don't have that. So it will be...

Revic BLR10B RF Binos in my harness and Swarovski NL Pure 14's in the pack. I drove up to see some buddies at Outdoorsman's when the 14 Pures came in, they are a game changer!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
There's a few threads about the swaro's 14 vs 15 not much difference. Check with the guys at Outdoormans they are knowledgeable about them.
It's the FOV while still being close to 15 power that makes the difference! If you get a chance to head to Fountain Hills you can check them out in their parking lot, and then get an excellent lunch downtown!

Revic BLR10B RF Binos in my harness and Swarovski NL Pure 14's in the pack. I drove up to see some buddies at Outdoorsman's when the 14 Pures came in, they are a game changer!
the exact set up I hope to have next year with a coues tag in my pocket.

Do you carry a spotter as well? I sold my spotter hoping to fund a new ATX, but now it looks like I might be putting that money into the set up you describe.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
the exact set up I hope to have next year with a coues tag in my pocket.

Do you carry a spotter as well? I sold my spotter hoping to fund a new ATX, but now it looks like I might be putting that money into the set up you describe.
Man, for about 90+% of hunts these days the spotters stay at home or in the vehicle. If I do bring one it's usually only the Swaro STX baby spotter.

Bubba85

FNG
8’s and 15’s with a spotter depending on the plan of the day. 8’s on my chest and 15’s in the pack. If I know we are going to be on a good point to see lots of area spotter is coming with.

OP
T

Trails17

FNG
Thanks a lot guys I appreciate all your input. I’m considering buying a pair of 15xs.