Coues deer binos

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
Leaving for a coues deer hunt mid January in Mexico. I have a pair of 8x binos and a good spotter. Is 8x binos paired with a good spotter adequate for spotting coues?

I really want to get a pair of 12's for the trip but not sure if it's really in my budget at the moment.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
Post in the optics forum. There is a post there now about whether 15’s are better than NL 12’s for this purpose. Might be helpful for getting some insight and you could pm the folks posting there with experience and ask. Im sure the answer will have a lot to do with quality of image over magnification, but they’ll be better able to answer your question directly.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The key with coues is catching slight movement in your peripheral vision, paired with enough magnification to see an animal that’s closer to a large dog in size than a large mule deer or whitetail deer.

I personally would never replace binoculars with a spotter for coues unless you’ve already located a target buck and want more information on his rack.

I can PM you general coues glassing tactics, shoot me a message if you’re interested.

Leaving for a coues deer hunt mid January in Mexico. I have a pair of 8x binos and a good spotter. Is 8x binos paired with a good spotter adequate for spotting coues?

I really want to get a pair of 12's for the trip but not sure if it's really in my budget at the moment.

Not really I'd recommend at least 10x50 or 12x50 for all day glassing and make sure you have a tripod mount. You would be amazed at how much it will reduce your eye fatigue and keep you behind the glass.

OP
C

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
I have done a decent amount of mule deer and aoudad glassing, I have a nice tripod glassing set up, was just curious if 12's would be giant advantage over my 8's for coues?

neverquit

WKR
I’m a pretty hardcore coues hunter , I’ll echo what’s been said. I use 12x50els . No spotter.

I’ve found that when I find a buck if I can’t tell if I’m interested in killing him with 12s, I’m too far a way to do any thing about it. A spotter won’t change that

rclouse79

WKR
I lived in Tucson for 13 years, and upgraded from a pair of 10x binos and a spotter to a pair of 15x binos. I always hated using the spotter for extended periods of time. I could look through my 15s all day, and they really help when trying to pick out the grey ghost.

TrackerG

FNG
15s are pretty much a must for me on any hunt after learning how to glass coues deer. I found that 15s on a tripod are a lot more useful than you would think. You’d be surprised at the game you have glanced right over after you get used to that set up.

nmarchr

FNG
15x Swarovski’s are hard to beat. That’s what I use for hunting coues.

rootacres

WKR
8s are not ideal but if its what you can afford don't set yourself back to level up. The classifieds are a great place to get quality glass with someone else inheriting the depreciation.

I brought 10s, 15s and a spotter on my coues hunt. The glass quality of my 10s were far superior to my 15s so by day 2 that's what I was using. If you're dissecting bucks down to the inch the spotter will be useful. If you're less particular, good glass binos on a tripod would be enough.

Thejet

WKR
There’s companies that you can rent a set of 15s for your trip and decide for yourself. Once you use 15s in Mexico it’s hard to go back to anything less.